Dogs tummy was chock full of socks!
A 3-year-old Great Dane was sick and miserable. His owners took him to an animal hospital.
Nearly two hours of surgery later, Dr. Ashley Magee had the answer. The dog had eaten 43 1/2 socks.
DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital spokeswoman Shawna Harch said it's perhaps the strangest case in the hospital's history. So strange that the hospital entered a contest sponsored by the vet magazine, Veterinary Practice News. The hospital won a prize.
The contest is called "They Ate WHAT?"
The $1,500 first-place winner was a Plano, Texas, animal hospital. It treated an exotic frog that ate more than 30 small ornamental rocks from its cage.
The Portland hospital says the Great Dane went home a day after surgery.
Tom Hallman Jr. of Oregonian.com described the Great Dane's symptoms this way. Imagine eating, he said, five large pizzas in one sitting.
In the end, Dr. Magee removed 43 1/2 socks. No one knows what happened to the other half sock.
The Portland hospital won $500 for second place in the contest. The money will help low-income people pay for vet bills.