Coming to Facebook: 6 new ways to express how you feel This combination of images provided by Facebook shows a sample post featuring the social network's Reactions buttons. Instead of the "dislike" button many users have been clamoring for, Facebook is testing out buttons that represent the emotions of love, yay, ha ha, wow, angry and sad. (Facebook/AP Images)
Coming to Facebook: 6 new ways to express how you feel

Sometimes "Like" just doesn't cut it. So how about Love or Angry? Haha or Sad? Or just Yay or Wow?

Facebook is going "Inside Out" on the Like button. It is adding a range of new emotional reactions to the iconic thumbs-up icon. The Like button was launched in 2009.

You won't see the new emoji right away. Well, not unless you live in Ireland or Spain. They are the two locations the Menlo Park, California-based social network has chosen to begin testing them.

Chris Cox is Facebook's chief product officer. He says in a post that the company plans to use the feedback from the test run to make improvements. The hope is to launch the buttons globally "soon."

Many Facebook users have asked the company to add a "Dislike" button. They argue that hitting the "Like" button in many instances can seem a bit shallow. Or it might seem inappropriate.

At the same time, typing out a thoughtful comment on a phone isn't always easy.

Cox says the company studied Facebook comments. It wanted to see what reactions were most commonly expressed through Facebook. The new buttons were based on that.

"As you can see, it's not a 'dislike' button. Though we hope it addresses the spirit of this request more broadly," Cox's post reads.

The buttons are available in the iPhone, Android and desktop versions of Facebook. They will be used in Ireland and Spain. Users can either long-press or hover over the "Like" button. The buttons will then appear for users to scroll through and select.

Counters underneath a post will track how many of each reaction the post has received. That is similar to how likes are tracked now.

How can “Like” be an inappropriate substitute for expressing interest?

• phoenixr-war
    10/20/2015 - 08:47 a.m.

In my personal opinion, the 'Like' button is not really inappropriate substitute for expressing an interest in something. Facebook does not really need different emotions to express how they feel. You like a post because you either enjoy it or dislike it, normally you don't like the post to express interest you like it because you saw it. People like posts even though they don't like it. Comments are used for expressing an opinion, the like button is just a button.

• evelyns-war
    10/20/2015 - 08:47 a.m.

To me, the "like" button is not an inappropriate substitute for expressing interest. However, to others it could be because maybe they don't "like" a certain post but they do take interest in it and wish to have a different meaning behind the "like" button.

• timothya-war
    10/20/2015 - 08:47 a.m.

I think the emojis are a great idea. they should get rid of the dislike button. also it might give people a better idea of what there post is like

• williamv-war
    10/20/2015 - 08:48 a.m.

I think that that is a smart to do that because maybe people will take it the wrong way if you give a thumbs up to something sad. Facebook has to get different things so they can update. That is why Facebook is cool.

• jerimiahc-war
    10/20/2015 - 08:49 a.m.

i think a "dislike" button is a good idea because i have been in a couple of circumstances where it was just disrespectful to "like" the post. I feel like the new emojis are only going to be for late ios and that is a problem because not everybody can get a new iphone 6 but it is still a good idea.

• chris25-war
    10/20/2015 - 01:02 p.m.

This idea sounds great! I wish they would also release them in the US too. A dislike button would be great but emoji's are good too, good job Facebook.

• joey2-war
    10/20/2015 - 01:11 p.m.

I agree that the like button can sometimes be inappropriate on posts. Sometimes when people post about their bad day, it isn't appropriate to "like" the post because you don't nessacaraly like that they had a bad day. I think adding emotion buttons would be a great improvement to Facebook, so you're able to express your opinion on posts without pressing the like button.

• mirandaw-war
    10/20/2015 - 01:12 p.m.

I really like this idea! The "like" button is to vague, and I think that this will be a great way to change it because it uses emotions. But I can also see the down side to it; it could become another way to bully someone on Facebook, hopefully people are mature enough to not.

• montanaw-war
    10/20/2015 - 01:15 p.m.

I like the idea of having the emojis because I don't always "like" posts because I usually have a certain feeling about the post like it was funny, but if I dislike like it I'd have to write and comment and that would mean describing why I dislike and I'd be easier just to put an emoji with how I feel about it.

• jarrett1-war
    10/20/2015 - 01:16 p.m.

The word "Like" can be inappropriate for expressing interest because if there is a post about something sad but you don't talk to that person regularly, you kind of seem rude if you like it. Having Facebook add this new system is going to be nice to finally have another option than "Like" or "Comment". Sometimes I don't want to comment but simply let the person know what I think.