Colossal squid is as long as a minibus! Capt. John Bennett shows a colossal squid he and and his crew caught on the boat in Antarctica's remote Ross Sea (- AP photo / ThinkStock)
Colossal squid is as long as a minibus!

It was a calm morning in Antarctica's Ross Sea. That's during the season when the sun never sets. Capt. John Bennett and his crew hauled up a creature with tentacles like fire hoses and eyes like dinner plates. It came from a mile below the surface.

It was a squid that weighed 770 pounds. It was as long as a minibus. Until Tuesday, it had been frozen for eight months. That's when scientists in New Zealand got a chance to inspect it. They used a forklift to put it into a tank.

The squid is a female. Its eight arms are each nearly 3 and a half feet long. Its two tentacles might have been double that length if they had not been damaged.

Kat Bolstad, a squid scientist, described it as "very big, very beautiful."

"This is essentially an intact specimen," she said. "This is a spectacular opportunity."

Many people around the world agreed. About 142,000 watched the squid examination on the Internet.

Colossal squid have rarely been seen in daylight. Remarkably, Bennett and his crew have caught two. Their first was hauled in seven years ago. Now it is on display in New Zealand's national museum, Te Papa.

Bennett said he thought he had better save the latest one for research.

"It's quite an awesome sight," he said.

• Gicooljon
    9/19/2014 - 11:35 a.m.

That is sad that it dide . I can't bileve that it got fozen . It was a femel that is strange .

• VTI2005
    9/19/2014 - 12:39 p.m.

The squid is so cool! I've never seen anything like it. The biggest squid I've ever seen was two times smaller. The squid wasn't real, though. It was a model, the same size as the real thing, for the worlds fair in Chicago. It was so cool!

• mooseloose50
    9/19/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

That is the biggest squid I have ever seen. I wonder how big of a fish tank that beast would fit in, it would probably brake the glass. The squid weighs about seven hundred and seventy seven more pounds than I do, and the arms alone would have to be one foot and four inches taller than me so it is very close. I can't believe that a squid could possibly seven hundred and seventy feet long, especially a female squid. If I had one then I would train it to squirt ink everywhere when I wanted to show it off. I know squids can be big, but I had know idea they could be that big. It is real amazing to catch that.

• SherzongM-Saw
    9/19/2014 - 04:31 p.m.

Is the squid dead because if it is throw it in the sea so the shark can eat it.

• katelST
    9/22/2014 - 09:39 a.m.

I didn't even know there was such thing as a 770 pound squid. How did the captain catch the squid. When they caught the squid did it struggle to get away from the net?

• freddyt-Wre
      12/11/2014 - 10:32 a.m.

i cant beleive that squid was as long as a minebus WoW!

• jordancST
    9/22/2014 - 09:41 a.m.

I think this is an amazing catch beacuse it is so big and very heavy. Do you think people should keep the squid if they catch one or should they let it go?

• TraceBramlett-Hay
    9/22/2014 - 10:47 a.m.

They should throw it back to sea. So it can eat whatever it likes to eat, So it wont die

• CharleyAtha-Hay
    9/22/2014 - 10:49 a.m.

I think you should eat its tentacles for dinner or lunch.

• KadenJohnson-Hay
    9/22/2014 - 10:50 a.m.

You should eat it's tentacles after you cut them off.