Blind dog lost in Alaska finally found Ed Davis poses with his dog Madera at his home in Ester, Alaska (AP photos)
Blind dog lost in Alaska finally found

A lost, blind dog has been rescued.

The 11-year-old Labrador retriever is named Madera. She ventured away from home in Ester, Alaska, on Feb. 6. The temperature dipped to 40 degrees below zero.

Her owner, Ed Davis, said he didn't expect to find her alive.

"My best hope was to walk those trails and look for a track that might be hers," he said.

Davis expects he never would have found Madera if Constantine Khrulev hadnt been out on the trails last week. He was riding a fat bike. His own dog, was with him. The dog was wearing a bell.

The bell-wearing dog made the difference, Davis said. Madera, responded to the bell. She let out a whine as the dog ran by. Khrulev went into the woods. He found her under a tree. It was more than 100 yards from the trail. That was about half a mile from Davis house.

She was not going to be found accidentally, Davis said.

Davis said his dog lost 14 pounds. Overall, he said, she was healthy.

The man who rescued her, Constantine Khrulev, asked for the $100 reward money to go to the Fairbanks Animal Shelter Fund. Davis was so impressed by the gesture that he increased the donation to $250.

Madera is completely blind because of an autoimmune disease.

This wasn't the only tale of a lost, blind dog to end happily in Fairbanks in recent years. A blind 8-year-old dog named Abby walked more than 10 miles in 2012 from her home in the Two River area before she was rescued.

Critical thinking challenge: This story had a happy ending. Give two reasons why the happy ending was unlikely.

• IsabellaH-Ver
    3/06/2015 - 02:24 p.m.

More people should put a bell of their dogs so if they are lost or hurt they can be found easier and get immediate help .

• TaylorM-Kut
    3/09/2015 - 06:20 p.m.

There were many other dogs who where also lost before one was an eight year old dog her name was Abby and she walked more than ten miles away from home in 2012 and she walked to a Two River area before she was rescued,another thing that made this artical have an unlikely ending that the reward for finding the dog was originally $100 dollars but sense the man was so happy the this man found the dog he gave him $250 dollars.

• bis12
    3/11/2015 - 12:55 p.m.

if no one claims it I will take it off your hands.

• EllieFpurple
    3/12/2015 - 05:31 p.m.

When did you first get Her and when did you find out she was blind. How did she run even though she is blind

• Isabelle-Hor
    3/13/2015 - 02:13 p.m.

That was SO sad! I would be so sad if I lost my dog,Gracie. I love her so much I would be so sad if I lost my favorite puppy. She is way to young to run away. But it happens sometimes.

• KateM-Kut
    3/23/2015 - 03:40 p.m.

11 year old blind dog was lost but now found. The dog was blind because she has a autoimmune disease. My dog has a autoimmune disease too but the only side-effects for her a that she loses her nails. The man that lost his dog never thought that he would find her, he was hoping that he would walk down a trail and find his tracks. But Constantine rescued the dog, he asked for a $100 dollar reward but the man was so impressed that he increased it to $250.

• 23GabriellaW
    3/27/2015 - 09:58 a.m.

I am so glad Madera is ok. She is LUKEY that someone found her! I wish she was mine.
    I hope she is in good hands. I hope she is being good.(:

• KyleM4
    3/30/2015 - 10:48 a.m.

One reason why the story ended happily is at Constantine found the dog and then saved the dog and saved and Davis got his dog and gave Constantine $250.

• saras-loy
    4/01/2015 - 01:20 p.m.

Oh my gosh I am so happy that they found that dog. That poor thing I wonder how it made it through all of those days and nights. I also wonder how it got lost.

• Lillianr-Cla
    4/14/2015 - 05:04 p.m.

Madera poor baby!anyway the reason why chose this article is becuase i love dogs!I feel so bad for this dog that is blind and was lost in alaska,but it was finally found so that makes me feel a little better .anyway the story to me was happy/sad so it had positive things as well as negitive.Besides that it was a very good article. :)bye Ms.Clarkson:) #keepcalmandlovedogs