Benno eats ammo Dog owner Sonny Brassfield and veterinarian Dr. Sarah Sexton play with Brassfield's Belgian Malinois Benno (AP photos)
Benno eats ammo
Lexile

A veterinarian in Arkansas has kept a dog from going out with a bang. This was after the animal ate 23 live rifle rounds.

Benno is a 4-year-old Belgian Malinois. He had surgery to remove the .308 caliber ammunition from his stomach. The story was reported by The Baxter Bulletin newspaper.

Owner Larry Brassfield said Benno has eaten socks, magnets and marbles. He didn't expect the animal would bother a bag of bullets. He had left it next to a bed. Brassfield and his wife realized Benno needed medical attention after the pet vomited up four rounds.

Veterinarian Sarah Sexton at All Creatures Animal Hospital in Mountain Home removed 17 rounds from Benno's stomach. She left two in his esophagus. The dog was allowed to discharge them on his own.

"This is something they certainly did not cover in school," Sexton said. "I've had dogs eat things before, mostly stuffed toys. Once I had one swallow a hearing aid. But I think this takes the cake."

Brassfield said he won't leave ammo lying around anymore. But he isn't optimistic that Benno will stick to dog food.

"You can baby-proof a house," Brassfield said. "But I don't think it's possible to Benno-proof a house. Lord knows, we've tried and failed."

Critical thinking challenge: Why wasn't this procedure covered in Sarah Sextons school?

Assigned 15 times


COMMENTS (18)
  • KeaganB-1
    5/14/2015 - 03:42 p.m.

    Benno the dog ate 23 rounds of rifle ammo. Benno is a four year old dog. Benno had surgery to remove .308 caliber ammo. from his stomach. The dog survived because of sugery from a veteranan from Arkansas. The dog is still alive. I thought this article was very interesting and I hope my dog doesnt eat ammo.

  • John0724-YYCA
    5/14/2015 - 07:28 p.m.

    I think it is the owner's fault that the Belgian Malinois dog Benno eats food that is not for him or people like us either because the owners kept leaving things on the floor and that i why Benno gets curious and eats the thing up without knowing what he did so they tried to fix it but it's not going to work so they pay the consequences. Well at least they had tried to stop the dog because if they didn't then that is just sad for the dog because the owner actually don't love him. Critical thinking challenge: Why wasn't this procedure covered in Sarah Sextons school? Answer: Because the school had never seen a dog eat ammo before.

  • ryan0420-yyca
    5/14/2015 - 07:36 p.m.

    Thats crazy a dog eats 23 rifle ammos. First of all how does it even swallow 23 ammos he would have been dead by now. But anyways how did the dog survive the sugery to take the bullets out it must have hurt a lot. Also the owner should have been more careful and known to keep the ammos somewhere else if he knew that the dog has eaten a sock and magnet.

  • 18Beau-May
    5/15/2015 - 03:37 p.m.

    Its scary that a dog ate 23 rounds of ammo. At least he puked 4 up and that doctor got 17 out of him. I'm sure it would be hard to Benno proof a house

  • PhilipD-Kut
    5/17/2015 - 03:40 p.m.

    eating an ammo is very unhealthy for youre teeth. you could be in danger by eating ammo you could even die. ammo is very dangrous its dangrous because theres a button in the back of the bullet if you were to hid it hard enough it would explode. i suggest you dont chew on a bullet.

  • AlexN-Kut
    5/17/2015 - 07:59 p.m.

    this isn't something common. Owners should keep destroying objects out their sight at all times. I can see why the school Sarah Sexton went to wouldn't need to cover this.

  • annabel1226-yyca
    5/18/2015 - 08:26 p.m.

    Poor Benno his owner does not take of him well. If I was his owner I will keep stuffs away if that object is dangerous. Also they could have went to the vet earlier. From now on that owner should keep his stuff in the right place and let Benno not reach from that object ( that are dangerous).

  • CarlaVidaurre
    5/20/2015 - 02:27 p.m.

    This article tell us a story about a dog called benno, he ate 23 live rifle rounds !, he went to the vet and they could remove only 17 rounds, he before vomited up 4 rounds, and the others two , and the vet kept two in his esophagus. His owners say that benno always eats inusual things, so this is not so amazing for they.

    Poor dog, I think it was difficult stay with 17 bullets in his stomach, but the good thing is that the vet could remove this things, so good for he

  • gabby10-Bla
    5/21/2015 - 01:01 p.m.

    I would be mortified if my beloved dog ate ammo.Also trying to think that my dog might die or even blow up.It is not just one bullet ,that would be able to take out easily,but this dog Benno ate 23 bullets that would be so scary i would not know what to do. I would be too scared and worried that my dog might die.

  • gabby10-Bla
    5/21/2015 - 01:01 p.m.

    I would be mortified if my beloved dog ate ammo.Also trying to think that my dog might die or even blow up.It is not just one bullet ,that would be able to take out easily,but this dog Benno ate 23 bullets that would be so scary i would not know what to do. I would be too scared and worried that my dog might die.

Take the Quiz Leave a comment
ADVERTISEMENT