Baseball star snaps selfie with fans phone Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper takes a photo of himself with a cell phone tossed to him by fan Jamie Roach (AP photos)
Baseball star snaps selfie with fans phone

Bryce Harper called this shot.

He plays for the Washington Nationals. They are a baseball team in the National League.

Harper is known for launching long home runs. He thrilled a fan at a recent game. He gestured for her cellphone. He snapped a playful selfie. Then he tossed it back into the stands.

Harper took the picture in right field at Nationals Park. It was before Washington took on the Toronto Blue Jays. It was the second game of a doubleheader. A doubleheader is where teams play each other twice on the same day.

"It was pretty good," Harper told The Associated Press. He saw the photo after the game. "Just messing around a little bit with the fans. Enjoying it with them a little bit. It's always fun."

Harper is a 22-year-old outfielder. He was looking at a group of fans taking pictures of him from their seats when he noticed Jamie Roach. Harper motioned for the retail manager from Laurel, Maryland, to flip him her phone. She was about 15 feet above. She did and he caught it.

Harper took a wide-eyed, silly faced picture of himself. Then he threw the phone back to her.

"I was so excited. I've never gotten a ball from him. But now I've got this picture," Roach said. "It was very awesome. Like a kid in a candy store."

Roach said she goes to about 40 games a year. She quickly sent the picture to friends and strangers at the game. The selfie was uploaded to social media sites. The Internet took it from there.

The latest All-Star voting results released by Major League Baseball showed Harper leading all National League players. He has more than 2.3 million votes.

Forget about a picture being worth 1,000 words. Expect this one to be worth oodles of extra votes and fans.

"They were trying to take a selfie with me," Harper told the AP. "I went over there and said, 'Hey, toss me the phone and I'll do it for you.'"

Harper had two hits in the game. He ranks among the major league leaders in homers. And in runs batted in and batting average.

Critical thinking challenge: Why does Bryce Harper foster a relationship with fans?

• jr1999princess
    6/08/2015 - 01:07 p.m.

Bryce Harper fosters a relationship with fans because of

• John0724-YYCA
    6/08/2015 - 05:42 p.m.

Jamie Roach should be happy that her favorite baseball player snapped a selfie with her phone which would be a great honor or me because your favorite sports player is using your phone to take a selfie and your going to keep that selfie forever. I wish that happened to me but I just want to keep my phone safe because I wouldn't have thrown the phone down 15 feet unless I know that he would catch it hundred percent. And I will never let him throw it back up because I really suck at catching so I will definitely break my phone.

• william1108-yyca
    6/09/2015 - 04:52 p.m.

I wish I could have done that. If I were at a baseball game I could have thrown my phone to him. It would be cool if I had a picture of a famous guy. I could have just thrown my phone to him so he can take a picture of himself and so that I can have his picture. So that's my comment.

• annabel1226-yyca
      7/30/2015 - 01:29 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
      William, you can't just throw a phone at him. He would get hurt or you phone might be broken and you will not take a selfie with him if your phone is broken. If I were you I would go up to him and say to him to get a selfie.

• CarlaVidaurre
    6/15/2015 - 11:02 p.m.

This article talks about a selfie, yes a selfie, that was took by a baseball player , his name is Bryce Harper, and he plays for the Washington Nationals , after he saw a fan trying to take a picture , he say "toss me the phone" and he took a selfie, for the fan Jamie Roach this was amazing, because she is a big fan of the team .This was in the second game of a doubleheader , with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Critical question: Because is funny, is always good to share with them

In my opinion this is amazing, if one of my favorites players of football (in my case) take a selfie with my phone I would go crazy !

• jamesv-Hyl
    6/22/2015 - 12:49 p.m.

I really like this story or article. It was pretty cool like if I were that person who got the picture I would save as lock screen and home screen. I would also cry with tears of joy.

• caitlynnk-Hyl
    6/22/2015 - 12:50 p.m.

That is relay cool. Though i would not give him my phone because it could get lost of dropped or he could miss it and not catch the phone. But for that big of a fan that's a big deal. I can not believe that i have not seen the selfe on the Internet. That is so cool. That person was probley so happy because of how many games she went to and got a perfect pick. so cool!

• seanz-Hyl
    6/22/2015 - 12:57 p.m.

I like this article because i like baseball a lot. My dad and i love Bryce Harper because all of the home runs he had hit. I always wanted to meet a real major league baseball player.

• michaelc-Hyl
    6/22/2015 - 12:59 p.m.

it was weird that Harper was taking selves with fans phones.also that the pictures worth 1000 words.

• CamilaValenzuela
    7/06/2015 - 05:57 p.m.

This is really cool, this article talks about a player of baseball that took a selfie with fan's phone. Harper is 22 years old, he plays for the Washington Nationals, Harper leading all National League players. He has more than 2.3 million votes.
    He was looking at a group of fans taking pictures of him, from their seats, when he noticed Jamie, so he took her phone and took a picture of himself, he he threw the phone back to her. She quickly sent the picture to friends and strangers at the game.
    I love this article, because I would like one of my favorite artists do that, it would be great.