Actress tells kids that different is good Jesse Tyler Ferguson, from left, Rico Rodriguez and Ariel Winter are slimed after being announced winners of the award for favorite family TV show for Modern Family at Nickelodeon's 28th annual Kids' Choice Awards (AP photos)
Actress tells kids that different is good

The traditional green slime flowed at the Kids' Choice Awards. But it was Angelina Jolie's message of empowerment for youngsters that stuck.

Jolie has sought to inspire women with public candor about her own health. She said that "different is good" as she accepted the favorite villain award. That was for her movie role as the title character in "Maleficent."

When she was young, Jolie said, "I was told I was different. And I felt out of place: too loud, too full of fire, never good at sitting still, never good at fitting in."

"When someone tells you that you are different, smile and hold your head up and be proud," she said. Then she added with a wink, "cause a little trouble. It's good for you."

The actress and filmmaker just recently disclosed that she had undergone additional surgery aimed at preventing cancer. She received excited hugs from daughters Shiloh and Zahara when her name was announced.

There were other winners at the Nickelodeon channel's fan-voted awards. They included Emma Stone, who largely escaped its trademark slime. She accepted the best actress award for her role in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." Also winning was favorite family TV show "Modern Family." Its stars include Jesse Tyler Ferguson, who didn't get away clean.

Nick Jonas hosted the ceremony. It also honored the group Fifth Harmony as favorite new artist and Liam Hemsworth and Jennifer Lawrence of "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" as favorite action stars. The film was voted favorite movie.

Jonas won as favorite male singer. He also ended up drenched in the ceremony's trademark green slime. So did Josh Gad ("Frozen," Broadway's "Book of Mormon"). He got slimed by co-presenter Adam Sandler.

Performers included Iggy Azalea with Jennifer Hudson and 5 Seconds of Summer. The latter ended up taking a goo hit.

Jonas opened the ceremony. He noted that One Direction was minus a group member with the exit of Zayn Malik.

"A tough week. ... Lot of girls in the house tonight still struggling after One Direction became Two Direction," he said. Then he asked, jokingly, "What's next? Fourth Harmony? 3 Seconds of Summer? No, no. The Jonas Brother?"

One Direction didn't appear to accept its trophy as favorite music group.

Others taking part in the ceremony included Jamie Foxx, Meghan Trainor, Chris Rock, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Kevin James and Little League baseball sensation Mo'ne Davis.

Jolie recently wrote a piece for the New York Times. It is a newspaper. She revealed that she had her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed. She hopes the surgery will reduce her risk of cancer.

Two years ago, she disclosed that she carries a defective breast cancer gene. It puts her at high risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer. Her mother died of ovarian cancer. Her maternal grandmother also had ovarian cancer. It is strong evidence of an inherited, genetic risk. Jolie already had her healthy breasts removed to try to avoid the same fate.

Critical thinking challenge: How can different be good?

• dawsynschult-Mag
    4/06/2015 - 11:14 a.m.

I think deferent is what you are or think.

• BeatrizMundaca
      4/07/2015 - 06:44 p.m.

i think the different is good , because the "normal" no is good, most part of the time, and differences make us special and unique. my point to see things is all of us we are different our away.
      i feel very different to my classmates. I feel like "i do not belog", but i no feel sad because i happy with myself.
      Realy i did not understand what they said the actrisses and actors, because i do not know to all.
      differente ir very very good <3 !

• BeatrizMundaca
    4/07/2015 - 06:41 p.m.

differente ir very very good <3 !

• emrar-boo
    4/16/2015 - 11:47 a.m.

Different is good because you are able to be yourself and not the person that society tells you to be. Being different might make you feel like an outsider, but that's only because you are someone who thought outside the box and believed in yourself as an individual.

• KnightA-Sua
    4/23/2015 - 06:42 p.m.

Different can be good because that means you are being your unique self. I am different because I act different than other people. I like things that other kids do not. I like sports more than some girls. I probably don't always listen the best. I try to be nice and funny and get along with other people. I like to be active and enjoy other kids that like to be active. So, it is good to be different so you can find friends that are different too. Everyone is different.

• CooperT-Sua
    4/23/2015 - 06:52 p.m.

How can different be good? Well you see being "different" is good because you can have your own personality, nationality, looks, and cultures. Besides if everyone was the same it would be boring I mean like for an example, You watch the same shows, same looks, same name, and more! Would you like it if you did the same things over and over again? NO! You got to learn many other things. I have friends who are crazy and i'm just funny not the same as them. This is what I hear a lot, "Be yourself." and "Don't be a follower be a leader."

• MangayayamB-Sua
    4/23/2015 - 07:38 p.m.

Being different is good because people that are different can do things other people cant. Also nobody is perfect so it is good to be different. I think the people that wrote this want to tell other people that being different is good. I think they want to say this so it helps people not make fun of other people. I think is was told to tell about kids choice awards.

I also think that they are making this to tell other people's story on how there life is. I think this because it was talking about other peoples story's like 2 direction because I think someone quit the band. Also it says people that got award for like singing or movies. I think my summary is about what being different means. Also about how people quit bands.

• LiCausiM-Sua
    4/23/2015 - 08:09 p.m.

Different is good because when you are different you are special. Another reason why different is good is when you are different you get better friends. You would get better friend because when people are exactly like you then you wouldn't have fun you would jest be bored. When you are different from everybody else then you would get different. These are some of the reasons that different is good.

• CirilloP-Sua
    4/23/2015 - 08:37 p.m.

It is good to be different. It is good to be different because that is cool because it is being yourself. It is also good because it is special. It is good because it is who you are that is why being different is so good.

• MayerS-Sua
    4/23/2015 - 09:17 p.m.

Why being different is good because if every one was the same then they would never tell anyone apart. Why being different is good because it is good to have other people that are not like you. Why being different is good because you would not be friend's will anyone really because they are all just like you. Why being different is good because if you are different you can be what every you want to be. Those are why being different is good.