Would you wait in a line all night for a hot dog? Hot Doug's customers wait in a line that leads down the block (AP photos)
Would you wait in a line all night for a hot dog?

Chicago's hippest hot dog stand helped turn the lowly sausage into a culinary superstar. Customers even could order hot dogs stuffed with exotic ingredients. Like rattlesnake.

So when the owner announced the gourmet shop was closing, everyone expected hot dog fans to line up for one last taste.

But no one could have predicted what happened. Customers brought lawn chairs, card tables and poker chips. Anything to help pass the wait of up to eight hours. A spot in line popped up on Craigslist for $300.

As Hot Doug's prepares to close Friday, the line outside Doug Sohn's "sausage superstore" has become as big a sensation as the stand itself.

Christopher Sanders and his buddy David Kudla became Wednesday's first customers at 12:45 a.m. They unfolded lawn chairs to wait for the doors to open at 10:30 a.m.

Sanders, 29, had never been to Doug's before. He'd been put off by the sight of constant lines. None were as long as these, however.

"I've driven past it, seen the lines and said, 'I'm not waiting that long, it's crazy.'" But, he said, "I will never get a chance to do it ever again."

Sergio Deleon arrived at 3 a.m. He knew that if he was not in his college classroom by 11, it could cost him a full grade in class.

"Gonna be worth it," said the 24-year-old Deleon. He had a plan for salvaging an A, however. He would buy a hot dog for the professor.

Bartender Dani Ploszaj thought it nice to learn the names of the other people in line, all of them.

"I was like, 'Hey, what's your name, what's your name?'" she said, pointing to the 48th, 49th and 50th people in line Michelle, Annie and Patrick.

"Now they're all my friends."

Critical thinking challenge: Hot dogs are an All-American food. How does adding exotic ingredients reflect the culture of the U.S.?

• jaedons-Orv
    10/07/2014 - 07:37 a.m.

I would not have been able to stand in a long line. There is just some stuff that I don't have patience for. And eating a hotdog with SNAKESKIN. Let me just say ewwwwww!!!

• SD2000green
    10/07/2014 - 08:37 a.m.

Adding exotic ingredients help reflect the culture of the U.S because the state has a lot of diversity among the states. There's Hispanics, Asians, and some native americans. In terms of food, the U.S is very open minded because there's a large variety of foods and adding it to an American is just like adding all these other cultures to the American culture as well.

• MS2000TACOS
    10/07/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

Adding exotic ingredients reflect the culture of the U.S. because we all like different things. We are very diverse. A lot of people here maybe originally from a different country and there they may like different things than us. China, India, Russia, and more have different foods. So adding those to the hot dogs will help the business and everyone in U.S. will be happy.

• Jadin
    10/07/2014 - 12:05 p.m.

Are you kidding me that's insane! why would you wait in line all day for a silly hot dog when you can make one at home instead of waiting all day to to have one.

• 21djpepi
    10/07/2014 - 12:08 p.m.

I think I would not wait for just a hot dog that long but, it would depend on where the hot dog is from. Like, Walmart, or Elmers. I would wait that long if it was the best hot dog in the world! If it's just a ordinary hot dog, I would not wait that long!!!!!!!! That would be rediculas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though I love them I would not.

• 21wtmadd
    10/07/2014 - 12:08 p.m.

I don't think I would wait in line for a hot dog because I like hot dogs that much. If I do have a hot dog
    I just make it. It's so much easier than waiting in line. Also if you don't like it you wasted all your time waiting for a hot dog. So that's why I won't wait in line for a hot dog.

• 21jmborm
    10/07/2014 - 12:08 p.m.

i would not sit in a line all night. Unless its a good hot dog. That would be just to long to wait in a line for a hot dog. I could buy a hot dog from Elmer's and cook it at my house cause i am nt sitting in a line all night in a cold night. plus i wouldn't wait cause i like prime rib.

• Haley Turner
    10/07/2014 - 12:13 p.m.

If I was the store owner I wouldn't close because you would now know how much the hot dogs mean to people. Personally I wouldn't wait in line all night, but maybe I would if I had something fun to entertain myself. Would you? I hope the people stay in business because it seems like they're liked a whole lot.

• Arielle62
    10/07/2014 - 12:16 p.m.

Adding exotic ingredients to an "all American" food reflects the tolerance, interest, and open mind the U.S. has for other countries, their cultures, and their food. Also, it reflects the growing quest Americans are undertaking in order to try good tasting, healthy(ish), new foods .

• Arielle62