Would you eat chocolate-covered bugs? A woman prepares to eat a chocolate topped with an insect in a chocolaterie in Villers-les-Nancy, north-eastern France. At left, wax worms on toothpicks for dipping in a melted chocolate fountain (AFP / Getty Images / AP photo)
Would you eat chocolate-covered bugs?

The menu includes crickets and wax worms on toothpick skewers for dipping in a fountain of melted chocolate. It also includes "tarsal toffee" made with bug legs and mealworms, and fudge infused with crickets and marshmallows.

What looked like a Halloween trick was actually an array of treats being served up at the Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium in New Orleans.

The 23,000-square-foot facility is dedicated to insects. It houses thousands of live bugs. They include beetles, cockroaches, wasps, bees, ants and termites. It also has a butterfly exhibit created to resemble a Japanese garden.

Insect-infused cuisine is also a huge draw. Thousands annually visit the museum's Bug Appetit kitchen. That's where six-legged critters and worms are cooked and served.

There is a Tiny Termite Caf with bug-free foods, too.

"We get every range of reaction in here," said Zack Lemann, the museum's animal and visitor programs manager. "There are people who come here knowing about Bug Appetit, and they come to eat the bugs. We also have people who have trepidation and anxiety. Some just won't try it."

Lemann said the FDA allows 60 or more microscopic insect fragments for each 100 grams of chocolate. So it's not a huge leap to just go ahead and include a whole bug.

The chocolate-infused bug fare was being offered as a special "treat." It was offered right alongside the museum's year-round offerings of chocolate "chirp" cookies. The cookies are made with sugared wax worms and spicy Cajun crickets.

"I wish I could get her to eat vegetables like she eats bugs," said Val Russell of her 8-year-old daughter, Porter. The girl ate three chocolate-dipped wax worms, then went back for seconds of the cricket-infused fudge.

Critical thinking challenge: Why are they called chocolate chirp cookies instead of chocolate chip cookies?

• JackR-5
    10/18/2014 - 06:43 p.m.

A bug Museum in New Orleans sells chocolate covered bugs including worms and crickets. This insectarium has all kinds of bugs that they cook and cover with candy or keep in cages for people to look at. They also have a non-insect eating area. In the museum is a butterfly garden that represents a Japanese garden. The FDA allows up to 60 insect fragments in chocolate so they decided to just put the whole insect in. I think it is gross that people would eat something like a bug for a snack. Who would want to eat a worm? The whole museum sounds interesting though.

• Matthew11101110
    10/18/2014 - 09:17 p.m.

I personally am very disturbed by this. I mean, who would want to eat a bug? Then again, I guess you never know what some people will like. It's good to open minded, but this is just to far. Oh well. I guess if they like it, they can eat all the bugs they want.

• Matthew11101110
    10/18/2014 - 09:18 p.m.

• anad-Koc
    10/19/2014 - 12:29 p.m.

I don't understand how people can eat bugs like nothing. I can't even eat ham because I think it tastes like a worm. When I was little I saw a movie where two girls put a worm on a girl's sandwich. That sandwich had ham and since that day I can't eat ham and I still remember that part of the movie like if I seen it yesterday, which I saw when I was like 9 or 10 years old.

• rubelm-Koc
    10/19/2014 - 12:40 p.m.

Yeah why not try new things it will taste good and won't be as bad with out the chocolate and it would be fun for dates too.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    10/19/2014 - 07:43 p.m.

Ugh! Eating chocolate covered bugs is disgusting! The chocolate has included meal worms, crickets, and wax worms, it is the nastiest stuff I've ever heard in my life! Some shops put bugs on chocolates and they even dip bugs in a chocolate fountains that is disgusting.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why are they called chocolate ''chirp'' cookies instead of chocolate chip cookie?
    Answer: They put crickets on the chocolate chip cookies, so that is why they are called chocolate chirp cookies cause they put crickets on them.

• ElleW-3
    10/19/2014 - 11:53 p.m.

This article is about chocolate covers insects and bugs. This restaurant servers many different bugs like crickets, worms, termites, etc. Many people adore these devin treats, and always return for seconds after there first. Many children love these because they like to know they are eating bugs. I think this is gross. I think that bugs belong in the sky not dipped in chocolate and served on a desert plate.

• alisonm-Koc
    10/20/2014 - 01:50 a.m.

I would never eat a bug dipped in chocolate. I absolutely hate bugs and could never imagine eating one. Bugs are made for crawling not consuming

• Paige.
    10/20/2014 - 08:31 a.m.

I would not eat chocolate covered bugs if they were real but if it was just treats then i would eat it. People know about the bugs why are they eating it? That just sounds nasty i would never eat that.

• JM2000Blue
    10/20/2014 - 08:38 a.m.

They call them chocolate chirp cookies because, crickets make a chirping sound and the cookies are infused with spicy Cajun crickets. Its also a play on chocolate chip cookies.