Who wouldn't play baseball for $25 million a year! National League outfielder Giancarlo Stanton of the Miami Marlins at bat in the first round during the 2014 Home Run Derby the day before the MLB All Star Game at Target Field (Reuters / Jeff Curry / USA TODAY Sports)
Who wouldn't play baseball for $25 million a year!

The Miami Marlins baseball team has persuaded Giancarlo Stanton to say yes to the most lucrative deal ever for an American athlete. He will be paid an average of $25 million per season for 13 years.

Stanton agreed to terms on a $325 million contract, team owner Jeffrey Loria said. "It's a landmark moment for the franchise and Giancarlo," according to the owner.

The Marlins star right fielder wasn't due to become eligible for free agency that's when a player can sign with any team until after the 2016 season. Signing him to a long-term deal was considered a long shot. The Marlins haven't reached the playoffs since 2003, and he was distrustful of the franchise's direction.

Miami's 2014 payroll of $52.3 million was the lowest in the majors. The last time they spent big was before the 2012 season, the first in their new ballpark. Then came a disastrous season and salary purge, intensifying fan animosity toward Loria.

That sell-off and subsequent roster rebuilding set the stage for the Stanton deal, Loria said.

"Unfortunately people didn't understand that two years ago, we had no choice," the owner said of getting rid of many of the club's best players. "I had to get to today."

Loria's frugal ways in the past made the franchise the butt of jokes. So given such thriftiness, the generosity toward Stanton becomes even more stunning.

His contract tops the $292 million, 10-year deal that Miguel Cabrera agreed to with the Detroit Tigers in March. Alex Rodriguez signed the largest previous deal. Before the 2008 season, Rodriguez signed a contract worth $275 million over 10 years with the New York Yankees.

Stanton, who turned 25 on Nov. 8, is perhaps the game's most feared slugger. He has 154 career homers, including 37 this year.

"Giancarlo Stanton has come of age, and he's going to be here a long time," Loria said. "It's wonderful to have a young man of this caliber, integrity and ability, and I'm very happy."

Stanton's 2014 season ended Sept. 11 when he was hit in the face by a pitch. He suffered fractures in his face and other injuries. Despite missing the final 17 games, he led the NL in homers and slugging for the Marlins, who went 77-85 but ended a three-year streak of last-place finishes in the NL East.

The Marlins have said they're not concerned Stanton's injuries will have lingering effects.

Critical thinking challenge: Why were fans angry with team owner Jeffrey Loria in 2012?

• lucasy-bre
    11/25/2014 - 07:01 a.m.

That was a great read I think that's a lot of money for just one player. But it was clearly worth it. it was inspiring for me because that's what I've always wanted to do.

• Aw2000red
    11/25/2014 - 08:40 a.m.

That's a lot of money that this man is making off of just playing the sport that he loves. I would love to be paid that much to play a sport that I love and be able to provide for my family.

• MatthewM12
    11/25/2014 - 10:31 a.m.

That is a lot of money! What happens if as he gets older, he starts playing not as well? Or, what happens if he gets permanently injured? He gets payed millions and millions of dollars for a dream job.

• KingD.
    11/25/2014 - 10:36 a.m.

I wonder why don't football players make as much as baseball players? I thought football was much more dangerous than baseball. I think that's unfair that football players but they career, and life on the line and baseball players make more then them.

• IsaiahD16
    11/25/2014 - 10:36 a.m.

I feel that a 325 million contract for a baseball player for 13 years is very excessive. Is he really that good at baseball? Now I want to play baseball.

• VinceB
    11/25/2014 - 10:39 a.m.

I am going to have to agree, who wouldn't play baseball for a 325$ million dollar contract. This is the biggest baseball contract in the MB. That is 25 million dollars a year. I think that this is an amazing article and it should show people tho play baseball and keep doing it and good things will happen.

• Ginger S.
    11/25/2014 - 10:44 a.m.

I hate sports and everything about sports. But if someone offered me that amount of money to play baseball, I would say yes... Because I like money. Like, who doesn't?

• Brandon J7
    11/25/2014 - 10:46 a.m.

If I was him I would except the deal. $325 million is a ton of money and you could do anything you want to with it. He is making WAY more then an average person. I think that $325 million is too much money for someone to make but if I got offered it I would take it.

• Vincentw-Fre
    11/25/2014 - 10:48 a.m.

I would love to play baseball and get millions a season . Besides the fact I love baseball I get money you couldn't get me off the base.

• Dakotasp-Fre
    11/25/2014 - 10:49 a.m.

I would play baseball for 25 million a year. I would also play it for fun.(mostly for the money). The text stated that the Miami Marlins had to persuade Giancarlo to join their team. If it was me, I would have signed as soon as I heard 25 million. Even though I wouldn't know much about the team and their plays. At least a team wanted to sign him.