What were top sellers on iTunes in 2014? Singer Pharrell Williams performs his hit song "Happy" at the Walmart annual shareholders meeting in Fayetteville, Arkansas (Reuters)
What were top sellers on iTunes in 2014?

The soundtrack for "Frozen" and Pharrell's viral "Happy" are the year's top-selling album and song on iTunes.

Apple announced that Taylor Swift's "1989," just released in October, is behind "Frozen." Rounding out the top 5 albums are Coldplay's "Ghost Stories," Sam Smith's "In the Lonely Hour" and the "Guardians of the Galaxy" soundtrack.

"Frozen" is the year's best-selling movie. Season three of "Game of Thrones" is the top TV show.

The top paid and free apps for the iPhone are Heads Up! and Facebook Messenger. The top paid and free apps for the iPad are Minecraft Pocket Edition and YouTube.

John Green's 2012 novel, "The Fault in Our Stars," which had a film adaption this year, is the top fiction book. "Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt" and "Private" are No. 1 for non-fiction and free books, respectively.

Apple also released an editorial list, naming Swift's "1989" best album of the year. Beyonce earned top overall artist and Azalea's "Fancy" best song.

Critical thinking challenge: Why did the author write These awards are in Apple's opinion?

• MS2000TACOS
    12/18/2014 - 08:36 a.m.

The authors wrote "These awards are in Apple's opinion" because all these statistics are based on ITunes an Apple music store. No other music store was included in deciding.

• JM2000Blue
    12/18/2014 - 08:38 a.m.

Because the awards and top listers could be totally different on HTC or Droid. The app store is different from the Play store when it comes to apps and best sellers.

• RS2000RED
    12/18/2014 - 08:38 a.m.

Because the awards were just based on apples point of view and statistics, there is still other places to get apps and music. There is the Google Play Store and Amazon Prime.

• kr2001blue
    12/18/2014 - 08:40 a.m.

I think the author wrote "These awards are in Apple's opinion." because mostly Apple had there vote on the best songs and apps. But its not a world wide vote on what the best songs, apps, books.. were.

• smt0415love
    12/18/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

The author wrote the apple award opinion because he wanted it to be easier for the apple users to find what they are looking for faster and give them recommendations.

• SalvadoRH-Har
    12/18/2014 - 09:59 a.m.

Those are really good songs.I can tell why my sister watches Frozen all the time.When I get to my house I hear her singing!I can tell why Frozen is #1.

• marcost6th
    12/18/2014 - 10:44 a.m.

Boo Iggy Azalea. She is not "Fancy" at all. Go Frozen! Go Frozen! Songs from a kid movie are better than a pop star's songs.

• elia3-Bla
      12/18/2014 - 01:21 p.m.

iggy i love your song fancy me and my friends sing it all the time i route for you

from gymnastlover

• ryliecb
    12/18/2014 - 10:49 a.m.

I did not think that people would by ghost stories music. Also I knew that Frozen sold but Guardians of the Galaxy I was not expecting that.

• ggman8865
      12/18/2014 - 07:49 p.m.

I didn't expect Guardians of the Galaxy to be such a great movie. I expected it to be funny but be that funny. I absolute loved it.