Wanna buy an 80-foot igloo? This igloo is a must-stop for tourists heading for Denali National Park
Wanna buy an 80-foot igloo?

The embodiment of an Alaska cliche is for sale.

The massive urethane igloo is a must-stop for summer tourists heading up the Parks Highway en route to Denali National Park. It can be had for $300,000.

The 80-foot high structure was erected more than four decades ago. It was built over a shell of plywood and two-by-sixes, but was never completed. The igloo, which shows its age, has never been anything more than a magnet for cameras and vandals. They set off firecrackers in its cavernous interior before it was boarded up.

But for someone with lots of money to spare, property owner Brad Fisher sees great possibilities for the picturesque location in Alaska's interior. The site is 20 miles from the nearest community at Cantwell. It is prime snowmobiling country in winter and hiking in summer. It's in a land of rolling hills and willows surrounded by mountains and splendid views.

Fisher envisions the igloo as an eye-catching seasonal restaurant and hotel run on green power.

But here's the catch: Creating a viable business could run a new owner at least a couple million bucks to get it ready and up to code.

For one thing, there is no available electricity around. According to an estimate 15 years ago, putting in a utility substation would cost $1.3 million. Fisher thinks powering it with solar panels and windmills is the more affordable way to go.

It sure would be a shame to see the igloo go to waste, he said.

"If you had the money to get it going, I have no doubt that you could make money there just because of where it is," he said. "I mean, everybody stops and looks at it."

Critical thinking challenge: Why might the igloo be difficult to sell?

• Lindsay C
    4/30/2014 - 01:51 p.m.

This is so amazing. I'm surprised they took the time to built such a big igloo. I can't believe it would cost $3.1 million to keep it running. Like he said, it would be a shame to see the igloo go to waste.

• TaylorMas
    4/30/2014 - 01:56 p.m.

I think this is really cool! although i dont think very many people will want to buy a house that could possibly melt if you turned the heat to keep yourself warm.

• Tarad14
    4/30/2014 - 03:12 p.m.

An 80 foot igloo is up for sale in Alaska and 20 miles outside of Cantwell community located atNational Park. This huge tourist attraction has an asking price of 300,000. More than four decades ago they made this igloo out of plywood and two-by-sixes. This igloo may look like a nice place to go to for vacation, but there is no available electricity. Although you could install utility substation, which would cost $1.3 million.
    If I had the Money to install that I would, and then I would make lots of money off of it because of the huge tourist magnet. A bonus to this vacation spot is that it is at an amazing location with a very beautiful and relaxing landscape.

• hannahgriff828
    4/30/2014 - 03:12 p.m.

The 80-foot igloo is located at Denali National Park in Alaska and it took $300,000 to make it. Property owner, Brad Fisher, who's very optimistic about the igloo, says that he wants the igloo to last long and he is also thinking about adding windmills and solar panels because it's affordable and the business would make more money off the igloo. I think that it's pretty amazing that people can make an 80-foot igloo. Out of curiosity, I wonder how long it took them to make this amazing structure. I bet it would be really amusing, if I took a few friends with me to tour around the igloo all day. Gee! That would be hard for me to not look at that astonishing igloo, that high!

• Arne8eagles
    4/30/2014 - 03:34 p.m.

The igloo will be a little difficult to sell, but a good eye can buy it. Although I wonder why it was built it is a wonderful creation. It is probably a lot of money to buy and a great deal of money would make it all so beautiful.

• ZacharyB-5
    4/30/2014 - 06:18 p.m.

This is about an 80 foot tall iglu that was built with a layer of ply wood underneath. The owner of this massive piece of Ice is wanting to sell it for $300,000. He thinks it will make a great seasonal restaurant and attract a lot of people and cameras

I think this is a rally cool iglue because of how big it is. The only problem i see is that it gets really hot in them so how are they going to air it out when there is a lot of people inside of it

• jacquelineh-5
    4/30/2014 - 06:40 p.m.

This article is about an 80-foot igloo that is a large attraction for tourists and cameras. This igloo, which is coated in avery cynic and beautiful part of Alaska is now going on sale. The price is $300,000 but would cost even more to supply electricity or start a business inside it. The property owner, Brad Fisher, wants the igloo to be put into good use and maybe even be run as a hotel. I find this article very entertaining, and I hope that one day I can visit Alaska to see this site.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    4/30/2014 - 08:02 p.m.

I think that it is amazing that Fisher was able to buy the igloo and also think of something for the igloo. I think that the igloo that is 80-feet-tall would be a huge success because the plan of making a hotel/restaurant is an amazing idea. So I think that buying something that would give a huge success would be a great idea.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why might the igloo be difficult to sell?
    Answer: The igloo might have been hard to sell because it is really expensive, and also because there was no electricity.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    4/30/2014 - 08:38 p.m.

Can you believe that this igloo took almost 40 years to complete?! I don't think the igloo is going to last long because of the temperature changes during the summer which can cause the igloo to melt (unless the igloo is in the mountains) which is very disappointing to the people who have helped build the igloo. I think it is worth the money because a structure that tall with all that inside space is worth the price.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why might the igloo be difficult to sell?
    Answer: The igloo might be difficult to sell because of these possible reasons: 1. A grizzly bear can break the walls and attack, 2. The ice will melt which creates a big puddle, which attracts animals because of the cool, thirst quenching water, 3. There might be a cave-in, 4. A reindeer stampede breaks the walls, 5. An earthquake occurs which breaks the structure, etc.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    4/30/2014 - 08:43 p.m.

I think that the igloo is a huge home and if I was going to buy it, the I would have to live in the North Pole. I also think that the the people who made the igloo have to be one of the best igloo makers in the whole wide world because, they have made something that can not be replaced. I hope that nobody as fire in that building because, it might melt down and there will be made people everywhere. I also think that people these days are just to nice to have tours go into one a life time chance to go into a huge igloo that nobody lives in. I also think that people who made the igloo should have taken them along time to make it because, it is really big and it also has windows. I think that this building is amazing and cool. I wish I can live there because, it has automatic refrigeration and you don't need a refrigerator in the igloo.