Taylor Swift wants you to read Taylor Swift talks with children about the power of reading and writing (Invision for Scholastic, Inc./AP Images)
Taylor Swift wants you to read

Who says kids don't read? Not Taylor Swift.

The superstar made a stop on her tour promoting her new album to share her passion for reading and writing. She met with a gaggle of New York City public school kids and 100 more on computer screens via Skype from classrooms in Michigan and California.

Swift, whose "1989" may debut at No. 1 this week, is a lifelong lover of books and writing, particularly songwriting. But she said after chatting with the tweens and teens at Scholastic that she isn't ruling out other writing projects.

She's already an unpublished novelist. At 13 or 14, she wrote a 400-page book based on her life and friends. She had left them behind during a summer away with her family.

"But since then, I've discovered music and that's the form of writing that inspires me the most," Swift said. "What if I end up writing a script or a book, or a book of poetry or something? That would be so amazing. I would love to see that happen."

Her meetup with the kids at the book publisher's headquarters was turned into a 30-minute video available at Scholastic.com. In it, she urges more young people to "open a world of possible" through books.

The students on Skype from Troy, Michigan, and Poway, California, had made signs declaring the superstar awesome. The in-person New Yorkers offered Swift their book recommendations. Among them: "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls and "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper.

And Harry Potter, natch.

The book ideas were timely for Swift as she prepares for a few lengthy flights. Making and promoting her fifth album has left her out of the loop on what to read, she said.

"I definitely walked away with a few suggestions, which I appreciate because with the way the schedule's been it's kind of lower priority and it shouldn't be," Swift said.

Critical thinking challenge: What do novels, poetry and songwriting have in common?

• Bradleyg-bra
    11/05/2014 - 08:11 a.m.

I Think This Was A Pretty Cool Article That A Pop Star Would Stop On Her Tour And help Kids With Reading Writing And That A Girl Actually Wrote A Book And a writes Songs I Think It's Neat

• JB2001Doge
    11/05/2014 - 08:42 a.m.

At least Taylor Swift knows what she doing, not a lot of artist never really stand up and help the children for once now of days....

• laurenrs-Cal
    11/05/2014 - 11:49 a.m.

This really interpersonal for me. To make me read more. I hope my class mates would like to read this. From person in your class.

• BeccaBoo123
    11/05/2014 - 12:06 p.m.

Novels, poetry, and songwriting are all in conman with each other because they are all words and sentences put together to form a story or statement.

• BANA454545
    11/05/2014 - 12:06 p.m.

That is weird that Taylor swift rights novels and the and right songs well that makes since that it could help her right good songs.

• Preston 27
    11/05/2014 - 12:41 p.m.

That's awesome that she is helping kids read. It's a good way of learning. A singer who's helping you read. I would be really happy. Your meeting a superstar and reading with her wow.

• Haileymhmm
    11/05/2014 - 12:42 p.m.

Taylor Swift is a lovely person and this just makes her even better, shes sweet, nice, kind, a great singer, pretty, and now smart too! I think it's totally awesome that she wants them to read and write more it gets them using their brain, Plus the more you read the smarter you are!

• Hallie_halpal
    11/05/2014 - 01:16 p.m.

I think this is a wonderful idea that she has done. I love reading. I love leaving the world I live in and joining a new one to see what that person or people have to live for. I also love writing and hope one day to be one publicly. Its interesting that she likes reading, too. I never knew that.

• -aNoNyMoUs-
    11/05/2014 - 01:37 p.m.

I find it kinda surprising that Taylor Swift likes reading. That any celebrity would, really. I mean, when would they have the time to sit down with a book? I'm sure there's always something that needs to be done when you're famous.

• 20Spaquette
    11/05/2014 - 01:41 p.m.

I think that it is a good idea that a song writer is going out and telling kids that they should read. I hope that Taylor Swift will tell us about the books other people have read. I like how she says that reading should always be a first priority. The quote she uses is the best because i think it will make more kids want to read.