Students give pizza driver $1,200 tip Domino's pizza delivery driver James Gilpin (AP photos)
Students give pizza driver $1,200 tip

A pizza delivery driver in Marion, Indiana, was shocked to receive a $1,268 tip. It happened right in front of thousands of Indiana Wesleyan University students last week.

Keith Newman, Indiana Wesleyan's CEO of Residential Education, was speaking to about 3,000 students at the IWU Chapel. He wanted to illustrate a point.

"Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone.

So Newman ordered two pizzas from Domino's Pizza at 10 a.m. The cost was $12.50.

When driver James Gilpin arrived at the chapel to deliver the two pizzas, he was escorted into the main hall and onto the stage. There he was met by thousands of students.

He was then presented with the $1,268 tip and inspirational notes from students.

Gilpin said the surprise took a while to sink in, but he will use the money to help with Christmas for his two young children. He said he was already drawing inspiration from the students' notes.

Critical thinking challenge: How does this story demonstrate "Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone?"

• jakes-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 10:31 a.m.

That was such a kind thing to do. Since he's a pizza man that money probably helped him extremely financially. This demonstrates do for one what you wish you could do for everyone because he gave one man lot's of money and you wish you could that for everyone.

• zachn-Eic
      10/21/2014 - 01:52 p.m.

Jake I know that is so kind and you are right that probably helped him out a lot that is so cool that someone just did that out out of kindness.

• raegand-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 10:33 a.m.

I can't believe that they gave him that much of a tip. They are only in high school! How can they afford to give him that much money for a tip? That guy must of made a heck of a pizza. Yummmm!

• elizabethl-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 10:34 a.m.

Wow!! That's an amazing story. I can't believe they gave him a tip of $1,000. That's a lot of money. That's nice that he is willing to spend it on family.

• zachn-Eic
      10/21/2014 - 01:49 p.m.

Yea that is a relay good use of all that money. I wonder what there kids are going to get with all that money.

• haileeh-Eic
      10/21/2014 - 01:52 p.m.

Hey Elizabeth it's amazing isn't it!? I think that its awesome that he is willing to spend it on his family just for Christmas witch is really cool!! I HOPE that I get all that money someday !!

• meaghanr-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 10:37 a.m.

I think story is great. It was very inspirational and very kind of you guys to give him that money to use for Christmas to give his children presents.

• mollyk-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 10:38 a.m.

Oh my that's a lot of money!I wish that would happen to me. That was probably his best day working there! I bet he was very excited about all of the money he got.

• bol-Eic
      10/21/2014 - 11:13 a.m.

Wow I can't believe they had that on them? I would be shocked wouldn't you? And the fact that they did that in front of all those students

• hannahm-Eic
    10/21/2014 - 11:17 a.m.

That is crazy. 1,268 for pizza. I think if i had that much i would give my mom and dad some and my sister and the rest of my family. I think that was a really interesting artical!!!!!!!!!!!