Schools secret tweeter uses social media for good
Schools secret tweeter uses social media for good

Schools secret tweeter uses social media for good Boyle County High School in Danville, Kentucky, has a mystery angel who is making it a point to focus on the good rather than the bad, and it seems to be making a difference.

In January, a new Twitter account was started with the handle BCHSAnonymous and a profile statement that reads, "My mission? It's simple. To spread positivity around Boyle County High School."

Several tweets were sent out to get the positive vibes started.

"Let's do something crazy," said the first tweet posted on January 25, followed by four more introductory tweets:

"There's no doubt that there is a lot of negativity in our everyday lives."

"Why not do something to change that?"

"Starting now, I'll anonymously compliment Boyle County High School students and staff."

"Hopefully along the way I can put a smile on someone's face and make our school a better place."

Since then, the anonymous tweeter has posted uplifting, encouraging and complimentary tweets focusing on students and staff members.

Julie Taylor, district drama coach for Boyle County Schools, says she is impressed and excited about the anonymous tweeter.

"I just think it's a great idea," said Taylor. "There's so much negativity on social media, and it's nice to see someone being positive. I don't know who it is, but I'm pretty sure it's a student."

The first complimentary tweet read, "First compliment goes to @briannlynn98 she's a an absolute sweetheart. Brianna, your smile and positive outlook doesn't go unnoticed."

"The only thing bigger than @HagenTyler_2015's future is his heart. His kindness and humility is so nice to see. He's gonna change things," read a tweet.

"Mrs. Casey from Guidance is a wonderful lady. She's helpful to everyone. Plus, her candles make that corner of the school smell great," read another.

The mystery tweeter also sends out global messages of encouragement to those who may be struggling with common teen issues.

"If you're looking for a sign not to kill, harm or insult yourself, this is it. If no one else is telling you they love you, I will," said the encouraging tweet.

It is not entirely certain if the good Samaritan is a student or a faculty member. However, tweeted clues seem to point to a student.

When asked by a Twitter follower about the tweeter's identity, BCHSAnonymous said, "Can't say at the moment ... I'm going to stay under the radar :) All I can tell you is that I go to BCHS."

"I don't know who it is, but I follow them on Twitter," said freshman Elizabeth Lyons, "I think it's a great thing. It really brightens people's day."

Students have responded and publicly thanked @BCHSAnonymous with tweets of their own.

"@BCHSAnonymous thank you so much! I really appreciate it! This is really cool what you're doing," tweeted a student.

Another student said, "@BCHSAnonymous wow! Thank you so much! Whoever you are, keep it up!" and another tweeted, "@BCHSAnonymous thank you! You made my heart smile."

BCHSAnonymous has certainly made an impact on the students and faculty at the high school.

"Teenagers get a lot of attention for the negative things they post on the Internet" said Taylor. "I think it's important to give attention to the positive. I also really like how the person behind it is remaining anonymous, so it's really a selfless thing to do."

With nearly 400 followers, the high school Twitter angel has the school buzzing with speculation, but many like the anonymity aspect of the tweets and hope it stays that way.

"I don't want to find out who it is. I think it's nice that we aren't worried about who it is. We just think it's a positive part of the day. And, I like how they mention teachers too," said senior Cierra Hawkins.

The tweets have cast a positive outlook on the entire school and students say they look forward to seeing BCHSAnonymous' latest compliment.

"They mention a lot of kids that wouldn't get attention otherwise. A lot of the kids mentioned aren't involved in things like sports, so they are getting attention too," said senior Aaron Lewis.

"It's a nice contrast to all the other accounts that are really negative," said Savannah Stow, a junior.

One recent post reads, "There are 16 days of school left, so that's 16 opportunities to help someone. You never know how big of an impact your actions can make."

Critical thinking challenge: Why are the tweets more effective because they are anonymous? How might the tweeter or fellow students behave differently if they knew the identity of the tweeter?

• jasminem-Koc
    5/27/2014 - 12:16 p.m.

That isdefinitely school spirit. Id.yoi use a social media for giid and ue it to say good things about.your highschool .you are dedinitely a.good peraon.
    Ao thank you for showing we can use Twitter avid social media in a good way,

• Gilbert666
    5/27/2014 - 01:05 p.m.

That is a nice positive thing too say to people I wonder who he or she is but they seem very popular on tweeter. Hope they have a nice day. Near the end of the year people get really nervous about end of the year tests so the encourage is very needed.

• JasonBlueQ4
    5/27/2014 - 02:40 p.m.

I think they will find the person on the twitter account but good thing he/she is using it for good. They just need evidence of whoever it was.

• AlyssaPinkQ4
    5/27/2014 - 04:41 p.m.

Thats really awesome that someone is doing that because some people have a lot of problems to deal with in their lives and getting on twitter and seeing all these up-lifting posts can really makes someones day that much better. I think thats really sweet and obviously someone is trying to make the school environment a better place!

• CieraGreenQ4
    5/27/2014 - 04:43 p.m.

I think its really cool that someone out there has the heart to warm someone else's heart and make their day better! I would love to have someone at my school do that! That's amazing!. I'm glad to see someone is out there trying to make the school a better place!

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    5/27/2014 - 07:20 p.m.

I think that this is bad to have people use titter for their kids. They are just kids and they shouldn't be using things like that. I think that this a werid thing because it is really bad. I thing that she is a bad person because they have been doing the wrong things in life.

• Jason0421-YYCA
      6/05/2014 - 08:30 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
      First things first, they are not kids because they are in high school. Second thing is that a student is making positive comments for kids and teachers because lately people are abusing the power of twitter by making negative comments. Finally, we don't know if she's either a male or female because she or he is not telling anything about him or her.

• mini1120
    5/27/2014 - 08:46 p.m.

I think this is such a sweet thing to do for the school. There has been lots of issues with social medias recently. It's very bad how people are cyber bullying others and think that it is just a joke when the person that gets cyber bullied becomes heart broken. I think this is a very good idea because it brings more positivity to people and helps people get motivated to being nice to others in social medias. These types of accounts is good to be anonymous because some people might want to go to the person that made the account and order the person to say good stuff about them. This connects to the account on Instagram that is called "mbmscompliments." I'm not too sure on who made the account but I think he/she might have gotten influenced by this post. The anonymous person follows and posts nice things about students. I think this is a very sweet idea because it makes the person who made the compliment feel good about themselves and it brightens the mood of the student that got the compliment. I believe that this is a good example of a good method of social media.

• Samantha1102
    5/27/2014 - 09:32 p.m.

I think it is wonderful how a student or faculty member created a Twitter account to better enhance the lives of students at Boyle County High School in Danville, Kentucky. The Twitter account's name is BCHSAnonymous, named for the school targeted for this social experiment and the anonymous part of the Twitter account. The main goal of the account is to spread positivity around Boyle County High School. Also, the mystery tweeter sends out messages of encouragement to those who may be struggling with common teen issues. There have been many positive feed backs from those of students and faculty members of the high school.

• Brinnb-2
    5/27/2014 - 10:50 p.m.

This article is about a school posting nice tweets about their students. The students don't know who is behind the unique twitter though. I think this is a cool idea but could get very time consuming with a big school. Also it could get out off hand if they say the wrong things about certain people.