Rats overrun home of Mona Lisa A rat runs next to a Maillol Statue in The Tuileries gardens of the Louvre Museum in Paris, France (AP photo / ThinkStock)
Rats overrun home of Mona Lisa

Rats are on the rampage in the elegant garden of the world famous Louvre Museum. They romp on the grass in broad daylight.

The hot weather in Paris has brought many visitors to the garden. Their garbage is a feast for the rats.

The lush area gives a rat plenty of places to hide. But the critters scamper about openly, unfazed by people strolling about.

The Louvre, which owns the garden, has been trying to combat the rat problem for months. In May, sanitation officials and exterminators decided to embark on an all-out offensive: Workers, acting methodically, were seen Tuesday pouring poison down the rat holes.

It hasn't helped.

"I see about 10 or 15 (rats) every day," said Traore Massamba, 25, a maintenance worker. "There are a lot of people who come here to picnic and they leave their leftovers, so I think that attracts them."

Tourists may have to get used to an occasional rat scampering about the garden. Given the size of the garden, the rats may be impossible to eradicate.

Critical thinking challenge: List at least three challenges the rat eradicators face.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    8/07/2014 - 03:00 p.m.

How come rats overrun the home of Mona Lisa? I think it is silly to have rats overrun the home of Mona Lisa. If people doesn't want rats in their own garden, they have to clean of their own mess of food. I thought it was silly because rats overrun the home of Mona Lisa. If I had that kind of country I would be freaking out.

• mariajose03
    8/13/2014 - 11:07 p.m.

Rats are almost in everywhere in the elegant garden of the world famous Louvre museum. Rats romp and run on the grass in the garden. There are a lot of people who go there to picnic and they leave leftover and garbage, maybe thats the reason which attracts rats. The Louvre has been trying to combat the rats for a while though pouring poison down the rat holes; however, it has not worked.

I would be very upset if I would find rats on the grass while I am walking around the garden. They scared me a lot and they bring several diseases and infections. Sanitation officials should determine real solutions to combat the rats problems. They wouldnt pretend to exterminate all rats if they just pour poison into rat holes.

Chiefly, they should begin to prevent people telling them what they should do such as putting their garbage into containers, or simply the Louvre should ban picnics.

• CristinaAcuna
    8/15/2014 - 04:14 p.m.

The article was about the big problem that the garden of the Louvre Museum has. The place is full of rats. Even thought exterminators tryied to solve this problem in May, they didn't get good results. Traore Massaba, a maintenance worker said that lots of people go there to picnic and they live leftovers, that's why the rats go there. Also, there are so many places in which those animals can hide themselves.

I think this is a really interesting article, since in this way I can see how our bad habitsproduce big problems. It is sad to know that a beautiful and important place like that one is full of rats. In addition, I consider that it is something dangerous for people who go there, because they are exposed to infections and diseases.

• patriciass
    8/19/2014 - 01:29 p.m.

Well, three challenges that the rat eradicators are facing with this problem are:
    First of all, it's the risk of suffering from several diseases because of the the rat's excrement.
    the second one is that rats multiply very fast so , if they don't eradicate them as soon as they can , this situation will be a plague without end.
    the last one is that the museum will lose a lot of tourists, and it will become famous not only for being Mona Lisa's home but also will be famous for rats.

• 21Olivia-May
    9/08/2014 - 02:51 p.m.

I love animals but I think that they could maybe move out of the lendon france or somewhere like that
    .An that there are so many rats at that place that it's infeasted but I LOVE animals so I could never hurt them .

• Re'neisha
    9/16/2014 - 01:17 p.m.

i like looking at weird animals but there are some i can not be around because they give the chills . but rats OMG i hate them thing , they get all in your closet and eat s and bites holes in everything

• Alister0206
    11/30/2014 - 02:05 p.m.

I'm quite surprised by the amount of rats that infest the home of Mona Lisa and unsure if leftovers attract the rats that get into Mona Lisa's home and make rat holes I do believe that the tourist may have cheese in their hands and pieces may fall out of their hand and land on the floor.

• AJ_Slater
    1/02/2015 - 06:09 p.m.

The Mona Lisa is an ancient painting that is housed in the museum of Louvre. The hot weather patterns in Paris has caused the mesum to get many unwanted visitors, one being rats. The critters have gone from hiding in the bushes to now scattering around the general public for food. I think that the rats should be relocated because they could destroy the priceless art in the mesum.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    1/06/2015 - 12:33 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
    Ashley, I disagree with your comment because people didn't leave a mess at the home of Mona Lisa, it is just a garbage can that is full of uneaten foods that people had trashed but the article didn't say that a person is going to freak out if there is a rat in the garden of Mona Lisa. Well sorry Ashley, I had to disagree it right now.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    1/16/2015 - 12:45 a.m.

Whoa, a lot of rats must've overruned the home of Mona Lisa, well it is impossible for a lot of rats to overrun the home of Mona Lisa. The answer to that is people are leaving trash everywhere as they had a picnic at the home of Mona Lisa, they must have doing a party or something like that, if there is a lot of trash on the grass, the rats will come so they would have a tasty snack off of the trash where the people had left.