If you were a crab, what color would you be? Crab fisherman Frank McFarland, left, holds up a rare blue-colored red king crab he caught in his commercial crabbing pots (AP photos)
If you were a crab, what color would you be?

A rare blue-colored red king crab has been caught.

Frank McFarland found the crab in his pot July 4. The crab is being kept alive at the Norton Sound Seafood Center. People show up to have their photos taken with it.

Scott Kent, with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, says he has no idea why the red king crab is blue. He suspects it's just a mutation.

Kent says a blue crab "turns up once in a blue moon."

Critical thinking challenge: What does once in a blue moon mean? How often is the moon blue?

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    8/06/2014 - 06:15 p.m.

I think that this crab is very cool and these people who found this rare king crab should be paid my the government to put it in a aquarium. This crab is very big and i know that king crabs are very good and they taste awesome. I wonder how this crab is rare. I think its because of it's color. I hope that these people who caught the crab is very careful of not killing it. I hope that this crab can be the best crab in the whole world.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    8/12/2014 - 07:39 p.m.

I think that it is amazing that the crab was blue because the crabs are not usually blue. One thing that the crab should not be blue is because they said that it was a red king crab. I also think that it is misfortunate if the blue crab was mutated by people and not by nature. I think that the Norton Sound Seafood Center would be a good place to put the blue crab because then they would be able research the blue crab because it only happens "once in a blue moon".
    Answer: It only happens once in a life time.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    8/12/2014 - 08:49 p.m.

I think this is cool because you never see a blue king crab each time you take out a net of red king crabs. I do not think this is a mutation because it looks the same as every other king crab so I think this is an albino. It might not be an albino but I am just saying that it might be. Also, Kent is right about the phrase "once in a blue moon" because you can almost never see one.
    Critical Thinking Challenge: What does "once in a blue moon" mean? How often is the blue moon?
    Answer: The phrase "once in a blue moon" means that it happens every once in a while. A blue moon occurs about less than once a year according to an article in Read Theory.

• John0724-YYCA
    8/15/2014 - 08:02 p.m.

I just wonder how the mutation got spread. Maybe they threw massive paint to the bottom of the ocean. It is funny what the guy named Kent said if you know what it means. I would not give it to the seafood place I would just keep for myself. If it cost like thousand dollars then I will give it to them. I just feel bad for that crab for some reason.

• AgustnCornejo
    8/20/2014 - 07:05 p.m.

Let's start from the beginning, once in a blue moon means very rarely, and it's because very few times the moon looks blue due to certain kind of dust particles in the atmosphere which diffract the light in a certain way which makes the moon look bluish, but for this to happen, is as difficult as finding a blue king crab.

• andreasepulveda
    8/24/2014 - 10:44 p.m.

A man called Frank found a blue crab that was unusual because this kind of crabs are red. The man says that it can be a mutation, but for now there isn't an explanation. The crab is being kept alive and people can have pictures with it.

This is really impressive that a crab is blue. Although there are so many creatures in the sea, I never heard of a blue crab before. I think that this crab should be released in its habitat and not be kept at a seafood center. People are constantly watching them, and maybe it happens to be a little stressful for the crab. It should be free.

• athlete42
    9/03/2014 - 09:56 a.m.

I'd be red because it's my favorite color and it's cool I guess. I'd scare people if I was red. I'd be eating things in the sea because I'm a boss. I'll have animals scared of me and wouldn't anything bother me.

• chloep-Ros
    9/03/2014 - 12:58 p.m.

What!? That's cool how could a crab come out blue. That's just weird. As I was reading I thought to my self why what is a blue moon? I think that he wanted other people to see the rare crab that he caught that's why think he gave it away.

• kayleeng-Ros
    9/03/2014 - 01:25 p.m.

If I was a crab I would be the color blue because blue is my favorite color out of all the colors and once in a blue moon means that a blue moon only comes once in a time.

• matthewh-Ros
    9/04/2014 - 01:17 p.m.

If I were a crab I would be the color blue because blue is my favorite color and iI would blend in with the sea water more than normal crabs