If you found $125,000, would you give it back? (- Getty Images)
If you found $125,000, would you give it back?

A Salvation Army worker in California is being rewarded for his decision to return a bag containing $125,000 that fell from an armored truck.

Joe Cornell told The Fresno Bee that he found the cash Tuesday after a Brinks truck pulled away from a red light in Fresno and left the sack behind.

"I started crying and shaking," Cornell said. "Everything was going through my mind the good devil/bad devil thing. What to do?"

Thoughts of the imminent arrival of his fourth grandchild soon helped him decide.

"I thought, 'What would I want her to think of me?' That made up my mind right there," he said. "I got on my radio and called my boss. 'Hey, I found a bag of money.' "

Cornell, 52, is in a Salvation Army substance-abuse rehabilitation program. His duties for the organization include working on donated trailers.

"I went down there carrying the bag like I was Santa Claus," Cornell said.

Brinks spokesman Ed Cunningham said he isn't sure how the truck lost the money, and he called the incident a security issue.

The company will give Cornell a $5,000 reward and make a separate $5,000 donation to the Salvation Army.

Critical thinking challenge: Why did Joe give the money back? Why did Brinks give Joe a reward?

• isaiah123478
    6/02/2014 - 08:08 a.m.

No way I would give it back,I would keep the money for myself. I would buy a ferrari with the money . Then with the rest of the money I would buy some machine guns and a 50 cal berret sniper rifle.

• RYANK-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 10:16 a.m.

It can be difficult to return such a large amount of money back to its owner. It is tempting to keep it but the right thing to do is to return it. If you try to keep it, you will probably get arrested.

• SKYEM-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 10:19 a.m.

He gave back the money back because he thoughts about his fourth grandchild coming on the way and he didn't want his grandchild thinking bad of him. They gave him a reward because he did the right think and didn't steal the $125,000.

• CHRISA-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 10:58 a.m.

If the average middle class person found this much money they would probably keep the money. This is how people were designed to be greedy and lazy. People were known to be clean when they were born a newborn. As people age, they become intelligent and keep everything for themselves.

• MarvinR-Sym
    6/02/2014 - 11:06 a.m.

If I found $125,000 I will keep it to give some money to the homeless I Will buy some stuff and i will give some to my family.

• ArturoA-Sym
    6/02/2014 - 11:12 a.m.

i would just keep it so i could buy me a game system.I would properly save it.So dont take it back.i would propley go to the movies and eat popcorn.

• JordanM-Sym
    6/02/2014 - 11:12 a.m.

If had that money i would had that money i would probaly give back or just hide it barried it.That it'll just be bad if i hide it. Then just take it out after 7 years.

• CHRISTIANM-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 11:22 a.m.

Joe did the right thing by giving the money. He gave the money back out of the kindness of his heart. He recieved an award because, he returned the money.... Absolutley Amazing

• SEBASTIANV-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 01:22 p.m.

Most people would've kept the money for themselves, and that's understandable because it's just human nature. This man went with his cauncience with his family in mind. This man completely deserves the rewards coming to him.

• ChaseR-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 03:27 p.m.

he is a good person. he will probably be a good person in the future but to bad no one will be like him in the future we need more people like him in the future