Frigid northern China hosts snow and ice sculpture festival In this Jan. 3, 2017, photo, released by Xinhua News Agency, contestants carve ice sculptures during an international ice sculpture contest as part of the Harbin Ice and Snow festival in Harbin, capital of northeast China's Heilongjiang Province. (Wang Jianwei/Xinhua via AP/Chinatopix via AP)
Frigid northern China hosts snow and ice sculpture festival

The city of Harbin in China's frigid northeast is hosting one of the world's largest festivals. It features ice sculptures. These include likenesses of animals, cartoon characters and famous landmarks.

Last year, the festival drew more than a million visitors. It showcases the region's tradition of snow and ice carvings, as well as ice swimming in the Songhua River. Harbin's temperatures can fall to minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit.

Harbin's best ice and snow carvers have been busy putting the finishing touches to their sculptures. They are based on big chunks of ice. These are dragged out of the nearby river and carved. They are brushed and lit up.

The sculptures range from animals and cartoon characters to replicas of famous world monuments and landscapes. There also is a 1,115-feet-long slide. State media say it took around 500 builders to complete.

Lu Fu was helping to finish a giant ice castle in Harbin. He was brushing it with a small rake.

"I feel happy. Especially after completion, I feel so excited when looking at the ice wall with lights on in the distance," said Lu. He has been carving ice for more than 20 years. "Ice building is the pride of Harbin people."

Why is ice building a source of pride for the people of Harbin?

• josepho-bru
    1/09/2017 - 08:53 a.m.

According to the article ¨Northern China hosts snow and ice sculpture festival,¨ ice building is a source of pride for people in Harbin because it gives them a chance to show off their art skills and to compete against each other.

• danielb-kul
    1/09/2017 - 10:35 a.m.

I cannot imagine how long it would take to complete at least one sculpture. It would be cool to see everything finished. I can see this festival growing more over the years because once more people notice this event.

• macy-kul
      1/09/2017 - 02:54 p.m.

I agree Daniel! The size of these sculptures make them would make them very time consuming to complete. I am also curious at exactly how much planning and time is given to create each sculpture.

• aleahs-kul
      1/09/2017 - 09:45 p.m.

I completely agree that it would take a ton of time to complete one of the sculptures. But, I think it is totally worth it in the end to have been able to say that you completed one, especially with the beauty they have. (44 words)

• kayleeb-kul
      1/10/2017 - 11:23 a.m.

I would love to experience this amazing thing. Just like the sand castle competitions, this is a whole new level of difficulty. They are working with materials that can melt and are harder to fix if you mess up. While you can add more sand, you can't add more ice to a broken off piece. It's such a cool event!

• jacoba-kul
      1/13/2017 - 12:32 p.m.

With the amount of skill that goes into these they should be put in somewhere so that they don't melt.

• brookeg-kul
      1/13/2017 - 04:39 p.m.

I agree that it would take a long time to make one of those. Especially when some of them are over one thousand feet high.

• christophero-har
    1/09/2017 - 10:39 a.m.

Ice building is a source of pride for the people of Harbin because it shows people who travel across the world to see their creations and shows pride for Harbin as a community that has achieved their own prideful accomplishments.

• codyp-kul
    1/09/2017 - 11:44 a.m.

I can not believe that many people come to just look at ice. I do think it is really cool that they built a slide. I would love to slide down it. I do not know how it took that amount of people. I think it would have taken more.

• jennav-kul
      1/09/2017 - 03:07 p.m.

I agree I think it's crazy that so many people come to look at ice! The slide would be really cool and awesome to see.