Five false facts about the human body They myth that it takes seven years to digest gum? It's just a myth. (Thinkstock)
Five false facts about the human body

You asked us to debunk some "facts" about the human body.  Let's science this!

So here are five popular myths that just are not true.

First, we have five senses, right? Wrong. Depending on how you define a sense, we actually have between 5 and 33 of them.

Beyond the classics, we have a sense of balance and the ability to sense heat and time. That's along with all kinds of other cool spidey senses.

Second, what about the idea that giving kids sugar makes them bounce-off-the-walls hyperactive?

Nope -- the evidence for that cause-and-effect link is surprisingly slim. It's apparently more of a self-fulfilling prophecy than fact.

Myth number three. We only use 10% of our brains. This one drives me insane -- it's totally bogus. We use virtually every part of our brain and most of it is active almost all of the time.

Myth number four. Despite all the heavy lifting going on up there, it's totally false that we lose most of our body heat through our heads.

The amount of heat we lose depends on how much skin surface area is exposed to the cold. So, yes, you'll lose more heat through a bald head than a gloved hand, but the opposite is just as true.

And finally, I know what your mom said. But trust me, I'm a scientist. It doesn't take seven years to digest swallowed gum.

The base element of gum is pretty much indigestible, but it'll still pass through our system within a week if not faster.

Why might people have thought that we lose most of our heat through our heads?

• hassans-ver
    1/15/2016 - 01:48 p.m.

I think this was very interesting and I wonder what our other senses are.

• stellas-6-bar
    1/15/2016 - 04:02 p.m.

People might have thought that we lose most of our heat through our heads because the amount of heat we lose depends on how much skin surface area is exposed to the cold. I think this article is interesting because there are a lot of myths that people don't know about.

• adamp-3-bar
    1/15/2016 - 05:04 p.m.

People might have thought we lose most of our body heat from our head because the rest of our body is covered with clothing. In this article it says,"The amount of heat we lose depends on how much skin surface area is exposed to the cold." That probably means we lose most of our heat through our head. It isn't because it just happens that way it is because our heads aren't covered. I was deeply interested by this article because I always believed most of these. I now know!!

• sydneym-3-bar
    1/15/2016 - 06:54 p.m.

People might have thought that we lose most of our best from our head for many reasons. A reason might be is because since heat rises, people might have thought that since your head is at the top of our body, the heat would escape there the quickest. Another reason is that our head is one of the least covered areas of our body, so it might be exposed more. Figuring out that all the facts I believed were myths is really interesting.

• anthonyg1-ver
    1/17/2016 - 05:48 p.m.

I think this article is really cool for many reasons.
    One of the reasons is the fact it is educational and talks about the human body. Another is that I didn't know that we had 5-33 senses.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    1/18/2016 - 06:46 p.m.

The facts about the human body might not have been true because some facts about the human body is not true because people will just think that the facts about the human body is true but it is actually not true. The human body facts might have been thought of some people to be true but a lot of the time people that been thinking that the fact is not actually true that some say that it is true. People might have been saying that the fact about the human body isn't true to people who are smart enough than people that say that the fact about the human body is actually true that it actually not true to other people. The facts about the human body that people say that it is actually true which people would say that the fact is actually not true to the people that are smart enough to know about the fact.
    Critical Thinking Question: Why might people have thought that we lose most of our heat through our heads?
    Answer: Because people might have not been smart enough to know that we lose most of our heat through our heads because they wanted some people to think that he or she is smart.

• taylore-1-bar
    1/18/2016 - 08:54 p.m.

People think we might lose most heat through our heads because heat rises and your head is the top most part of a body. But, humans actually do not have a specific place when're the most heat is lost. I thought this article was interesting because I didn't know some of these facts. This surprised me because I thought it took over seven years to digest gum, but really, it only takes "within a week if not faster."

• dajap-
    1/19/2016 - 08:33 a.m.

People might have thought that we lose most of our heat through our heads. This is not true because we have hair on our head that helps our head to not be exposed in the cold.

• keshayw-
    1/19/2016 - 08:52 a.m.

Why might people have thought that we lose most of our heat through our heads? maybe because if you are bald your head will be colder than if you do have hair.

• leahn-eva
    1/19/2016 - 08:53 a.m.

I think this was very interesting and I wonder what our other senses are.