Family looks for new dog, finds old one instead The James family of Eatontown who found their dog "Reckless" a year and half after losing him during Superstorm Sandy. Kelsey James hugs Reckless, below left
Family looks for new dog, finds old one instead

Many pets got separated from their families almost two years ago, when Superstorm Sandy struck the East Coast. A New Jersey family was one of them. They lost their dog, a terrier-pit bull mix. He escaped from their backyard during the storm.

Chuck James says that his family searched for the brown-and-white dog, named Reckless, for months after the October 2012 storm. But finally, they gave up hope.

"We reported him missing and called the shelters periodically, just hoping they had him," James said. "We always kept our hopes up, but eventually it's time to move on."

James said the family had planned in recent weeks to get a new dog. The dog was to be a 10th birthday surprise for their eldest daughter, Ally.

The family of five went to the Monmouth County SPCA to adopt a new animal. But when James and his wife approached the first cage, they saw a familiar face inside.

"He was a little bigger than I remembered because they had fed him well," James joked. "But then he was laying on my wife's feet, and I knew it was him. ... I was in disbelief. I know this dog is meant to be with our family."

When SPCA officials asked if they could prove the animal was their dog, a friend sent over a picture showing the family with their dog before Sandy hit the Jersey shore.

"We're all so happy to have him back," James said.

SPCA officials say Reckless was picked up as a stray and has now been microchipped.

The family is living in a hotel while their storm-damaged Keansburg home is repaired. This weekend, the Jameses went on a camping trip with Reckless to celebrate the dog's return.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is Reckless less likely to get lost again?

• ANTHONYG-ZDE
    5/07/2014 - 12:00 p.m.

This is like a horror movie with a happy ending. A family lost a very special pet during a dog. But then they then have their happy ending and found there dog at a adoption center. What a wonderful ending for the family.

• MEGANM-ZDE
    5/07/2014 - 12:01 p.m.

The James family was extremely lucky to find their lost dog. Now that Reckless has a microchip it will be easier to find him if he gets lost or runs off. It must be heartwarming to have you own dog back after almost two years without him.

• kaiyaw
    5/07/2014 - 12:15 p.m.

Thats sad that he got seperated from his family but glad that he got a home to live in now and that his family will take great care of him

• kayla l
    5/07/2014 - 12:36 p.m.

Aww that's good that they finally got their dog back after all of that! I know if i lost my fur babies in that, and i didn't know where they were at.. I dont think I would be okay. But at least they have him back.

• LF2921
    5/07/2014 - 02:33 p.m.

i think it is sad that he wasnt with his famly for a while and is great that he great care again with his family now.

• davidb-ZDE
    5/07/2014 - 02:33 p.m.

The dog Reckless was really lucky that he survived Superstorm Sandy, but then to also find his owners is truly amazing. It's also good to see that the family got their lost pet after months of searching. Also its great that they got him back as a birthday present for their eldest daughter.

• kf24smile
    5/07/2014 - 02:33 p.m.

I'm so happy for them, I'm glad that they found their dog. loosing a dog and trying to replace them is hard so finding their dog must have been a very happy moment for them.

• jessicap321750
    5/07/2014 - 02:35 p.m.

awwww that's good for them ! they worked so hard to find that dog . good thing they did not get that new dog cause they would have 2 dogs and that would be hard to take care of !!

• shawnb-Orv
    5/07/2014 - 02:39 p.m.

This is a touching story. I would be so sad if I lost my dog, and I imagine they were. But it was fate that they were reunited with the dog, and it is so great that they found him.

• jessieh-Mil
    5/07/2014 - 02:54 p.m.

I say Reckless will less likely get lost again because his family will look after him and make sure he is safe. His family will make sure he doesn't get lost or run away from home. Reckless would probably stay inside and be watched by one of the family members or be watched by all of the family members.