Everybody makes mistakes, even California This combination of images shows a misspelled sign which was covered and then removed in Southern California (AP photos)
Everybody makes mistakes, even California

No one noticed the mistake until the morning after the sign was installed above Interstate 710 in Southern California.

A subcontractor had misspelled Olympic Boulevard. An "I'' was used in place of the "Y."

The large green exit sign was covered with a tarp and eventually removed but not before drivers snapped and tweeted photographs of the mega-typo.

The subcontractor will pay for a new sign. It is one of many improvements underway on the freeway as part of a pavement rehabilitation project.

Critical thinking challenge: Why was the sign covered before it was removed?

• MS2000TACOS
    12/02/2014 - 08:36 a.m.

The sign was covered before it was removed so that way no one could see it and tweet it out and be rude snobs about the misspelling.

• JM2000Blue
    12/02/2014 - 08:37 a.m.

So nobody could snap more pictures and give the sign more social media coverage. They also might have kept the sign, half covered, so drivers would know the streets.

• ad2000softball
    12/02/2014 - 08:38 a.m.

the sign was covered before it was removed because they couldn't get the sign down right away so they just covered it up. Also, they did it so not a lot of people saw the mistake.

• kr2001blue
    12/02/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

The sign was covered before it was removed because they didn't want people to see the mistake they made on the sign. The person that made it may have been embarrassed and didn't want anyone to make fun of him/her.

• MaggieM-3
    12/02/2014 - 10:37 a.m.

In sunny Southern California a typo in a freeway sign was placed on the Interstate 710. The sign was supposed to say Olympic Boulevard. It was misspelled by placing a "I" instead of a "Y". When people noticed the sign had a mistake, a tarp was placed the sign.The drivers that noticed the mistake took pictures of it and showed it to the world via social media. The sign was eventually taken down and will be replaced. The subcontractor that put the incorrect sign up will pay for a correct replacement.
    I think that people must be giving this subcontractor to hard of a time. He probably knows how to spell Olympic but as he was putting the letters on was distracted with the noisy freeway and other things. Also placing the letters on a freeway sign must be a slow going process and it is not like just spelling out e the word.

• JackR-5
    12/02/2014 - 12:12 p.m.

A freeway sign was put up called Olympic. People spelled it wrong using an I instead of a Y. this shows how everybody makes mistakes Jen I just me. I can learn from this and many ways. I know that many people make mistakes not just me. They are trying to repair the sign and put up a new sign. How could anyone make such a big mistake as put up spelling sign. I think it is good that everybody makes mistakes. But I don't think California is one that should make a mistake.

• RM00charlie
    12/02/2014 - 01:00 p.m.

The sign was covered before removed because its embarrassing for not only the people who created it but for the township it belonged to and the workers of the state who created it

• ce2001sparkle
    12/02/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

The sign was covered before it was removed because it takes time to get a new sign. They didn't want people to notice the sign.

• BigCove666
    12/02/2014 - 01:23 p.m.

Wow, how funny! I wonder how that happened, how did know body notice something as important as a major sign that goes on an important highway was spelled in correctly, i hope they fix it soon!

• Magruder0708
    12/02/2014 - 01:25 p.m.

Wow! I wonder how nobody noticed that big of an error on the sign on the highway immediately. Also how could an adult spell Olympic wrong?!?