Ever seen a wirehaired viszla? Falko, left, a wire-haired vizsla, and Luna, a coton de tulear, sit on stage with their owners, Anton Sagh, of Montreal, Quebec, and Adrianne Dering, of Morgantown, W.Va. (AP photos)
Ever seen a wirehaired viszla?

The wirehaired viszla and the coton de tulear are the latest breeds to be added to the nation's premier dog competition. It's the Westminster Kennel Club show, set for Feb. 16-17.

The wirehaired viszla is a rugged, versatile hunter conditioned to withstand frosty Hungarian winters. The coton de tulear is a happy-go-lucky companion from the island of Madagascar. Both will join the pack at the Westminster show next year.

The club's leaders, as well as Luna the coton de tulear and Falko the wirehaired viszla, appeared at a news conference Tuesday.

Luna stood politely as organizers discussed plans for the first Westminster show to include her small-but-sturdy breed. The dog has been dubbed the "royal dog of Madagascar." It's known for its flowing, cotton-like coat and chipper disposition.

"I say they're a big dog in a small dog's boots," Luna's breeder and co-owner, Adrianne Dering of Morgantown, West Virginia, said. The breed initially developed on its own in the island nation off southeastern Africa. Then it became popular with Madagascar's aristocracy and later with French colonists. That's according to the United States of America Coton de Tulear Club. The name is pronounced koh-TOHN du TOO-lay-ahr.

"They're just very adaptable, and they like everybody," Dering said. Prospective owners need to be prepared to brush the dogs' long coats a few times a week, unless they're kept in a shorter cut.

The wirehaired viszla was bred to be a hardy, all-weather hunting aide in the rough terrain of northern Hungary. The name viszla is pronounced VEEZ-shlah. The dog has a brushy coat and somewhat heavier build than its cousin the viszla. But the wirehaired hunters know how to be low-key, too. Falko, owned by Anton Sagh of Montreal, Canada, relaxed on the floor Tuesday.

"They're just phenomenal in the field," but "really easygoing to live with," Wirehaired Vizsla Club of America President Jean Schroeder of Wanatah, Indiana, said by phone. The dogs benefit from a yard to run in or a few-mile walk each day.

Breeds are added to the Westminster show after the American Kennel Club recognizes them. There are 180 AKC-recognized breeds.

Critical thinking challenge: Why must the wirehaired viszla be hardy?

• Kali1
    10/06/2014 - 09:26 a.m.

I think this is a great dog. It is beautiful and i bet it loves there owners a lot. Now this is a dog i want to care for.

• sunny8903
    10/06/2014 - 12:10 p.m.

No I have never seen a wirehaired Vizsla, but my aunt does have a Vizsla and what I know about them is that they are incredibly obedient. They are very well and easily trained.

• stbernardsam
    10/06/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

Yes, I have heard of both the Wirehaired Viszla and the Coton de Tulear. I was actually considering purchasing a viszla, but they are too active for my family. Coton de Tulears are too small to live with the dog I already have, a St. Bernard named Buster.

• annasusan
    10/06/2014 - 01:05 p.m.

Why the wirehaired viszla must be "hardy" is because an "All-weather hunting aide in the rough terrain of northern Hungary." As it says in the text, the terrain is rough so they must be tough to handle it, so that's why they need to be "hardy".

• relyad
    10/06/2014 - 01:14 p.m.

No, I've never heard of a wirehaired Viszla. I have heard of a wirehaired pointer, cause I own one. DECKER! He is cute and has a beard.

• robinbra000
    10/06/2014 - 01:24 p.m.

Two new dog types, that's amazing. The wirehaired viszla kind of looks like my dog it has the same muzzle and they both have floppy ears.

• A.R.S
    10/06/2014 - 01:42 p.m.

That sounds like an awesome dog. The dog is able to be trained well and it is really cute. I would love to own one. It's owner must be very happy with there gorgeous pooch.

• Pwny
    10/06/2014 - 01:45 p.m.

I have seen a wire-haired Viszla, Maddie J. has one. I have a regular Viszla named Ginger. They are so cute! I hope to get one when I grow up.

• kadybug
    10/06/2014 - 01:56 p.m.

My friend used to have a viszla, so I know about them. How they are well trained and can be very kind too. I've never seen seen a wire-haired viszla before, but I would like to see one.

• Maddude7
    10/06/2014 - 01:56 p.m.

I had a Viszla form the day I was born till February,5th, 2012. This was the best dog ever. My dad trained Bailey very well when he was a puppy and he was the nicest and most well behaved i have ever met. to me viszlas are a great family dog to have. Viszlas sometimes can have a scared reputation but if you pick the right dog and train it well the are amazing. Now I have heard of a wire-haired viszla and I heard they are great!