Does tower of ketchup need mountain of mustard? Traffic passes by a water tower in the shape of a ketchup bottle in Collinsville, Ill. (AP photos)
Does tower of ketchup need mountain of mustard?

How would you like to own a towering ketchup bottle?

A "For Sale" sign is in front of what's billed as the "World's Largest Bottle of Catsup." The landmark once served as a water tower in the city of Collinsville, Ill.

It's old, 65 to be exact. And it's tall, 170 feet. The asking price is $200,000. A warehouse adjacent to it is listed at $300,000.

Brooks Old Original Rich and Tangy Catsup was produced in the buildings beneath the tower. The 100,000-gallon tower held water never ketchup and it hasn't been used since Brooks moved out about 50 years ago.

The plant became a warehouse used for shipping and trucking operations of Bethel-Eckert. Larry Eckert, the owner, considered selling the ketchup bottle and warehouse separately, then decided one can't go without the other.

"Whoever would be interested, you'd need the additional land anyway," he said.

Eckert said the ketchup bottle is on the National Register of Historic Places. He expects the eventual buyer to preserve it.

Critical thinking challenge: Why did the ketchup company need so much water? What's in ketchup?

• Ashley0207-yyca
    8/05/2014 - 02:52 p.m.

I did not know the giant ketchup bottle was filled with water instead of real ketchup. I am amazed because a giant ketchup bottle had water instead of real ketchup. Maybe I will invent something like the invention of the ketchup bottle. Maybe I will put in water like that invention of the ketchup bottle. Or maybe I will fill the bottle with real condiments.

• tecknotron55
    8/06/2014 - 11:47 a.m.

If the tower of ketchup is going out of business then you should build tower of mustard because both of these are sauces that millions of people like so they both should be there to make twice as much money.

• neaveh101040
    8/18/2014 - 05:32 p.m.

I LOVE KETCHUP NOT MUSTARD I HATE MUSTARD WITH all my heart. But i like the story because its about the ketchup not the tower i think but i won't buy no ketchup tower for no $200,000 or $300,000 because that's shopping money for me.

• lesliaedo
    8/20/2014 - 05:22 p.m.

Summary: An impressive landmark situated in Collinsville, Ill. is for sale. I'm talking about "the world largest bottle of Catsup", also called ketchup. It is 65 year-old, has 170 feet and once served as the city's water tower. In the building beneath this tower a famous brand of catsup was produced, however, the tower just held water. After that, the plant became a warehouse whose owner is Eckert. The man, who is yet the warehouse's current owner, is selling this place at $200,000. He expects to sell the warehouse and the catchup bottle altogether, and wants its next owner to preserve it.

Comment: The moment I read the headline I thought that this news was really weird. I mean, is a tower of ketchup possible? Then, I understood that it was, but in a especial way, which is really attractive.
    I think that all cities and countries are very lucky to own certain landmarks, therefore, we all must to take care of them.

• lesliaedo
    8/20/2014 - 05:22 p.m.

• LyndseyG-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 02:46 p.m.

I thought this was pretty cool but also weird at the same time. Why would they have a giant ketchup bottle if all they're going to do is put water in it instead of ketchup?? I don't really get it..

• icecreamisyummy
    9/05/2014 - 01:18 p.m.

A huge ketchup bottle for sale ? Ketchup goes great on a lot of food. Owning this would be a lot of money though. Ketchup is a great condiment!

• im2001film
    9/09/2014 - 01:05 p.m.

Maybe the ketchup company needed so much water because they were so popular that they couldn't get enough ketchup made to supply stores with their brand of ketchup, so they got their own water tower. I think there is vinegar in it and with that giant water tower I'm sure there has to be water in it.

• JessiJ13
    9/11/2014 - 02:46 p.m.

YES!!! Tower of Ketchup Definitely needs Mountain of Mustard! If the tower of ketchup doesn't have mountain of mustard by it's side, that's like eating peanut butter without the jelly! When I was really little me and my sister were peanut butter and jelly for Halloween and some Halloween I hope to see two kids being the tower of ketchup and the mountain of mustard, they just go to together(:

• Aw2001soccer
    9/17/2014 - 01:10 p.m.

they needed so much water in it because it was supposed to be a water tower and there is probably a lot of things in there for being how old it is