Could you eat a 100-foot-long bratwurst? Mabel and Larry Schubert help lay out a 100 foot-long bratwurst on a grill at the Silver Creek Saloon in Belleville, Ill. At left, President Obama bites a brat in Milwaukee (AP photo / Reuters)
Could you eat a 100-foot-long bratwurst?

About 50 people volunteered this week to carefully grill a 100-foot bratwurst - without burning or breaking it. And this was just for practice.

Belleville, Illinois, is about to celebrate its 200th anniversary. During the festivities, volunteers will attempt to grill a brat that's even twice as long as the one they worked with Tuesday, the Belleville News-Democrat reported. The Bicentennial Oktoberfest Weekend Celebration is Sept. 19-21.

Larry Schubert, who made the 60-pound sausage, led the effort Tuesday to unroll it onto a specially made 100-foot metal trough, where it will be grilled. Volunteers were cautious because in August, a 50-foot bratwurst broke in several places. It was turned too quickly and the grill was too hot. This time, organizers walked around to inspect and fix splits in the meat.

A baking company will make a 200-foot-long bun to go with the bratwurst on Sept. 21. That bun will be so big that the Lindenwood University football team will carry it down Main Street.

Donations will be collected from those who want to eat a piece of the bratwurst. Proceeds will benefit food pantries.

On Tuesday, after volunteers shoveled a layer of burning coal onto the trough, Schubert gingerly unrolled the meat. Then the volunteer group put on gloves and tried to rotate the brat - gently and at the same time - until the whole thing was 160 degrees and safe to eat.

At one point, Bob Schweiger, who was in the middle of the line, said: "We need a Band-Aid." That's when organizers walked by to inspect for damage, according to News-Democrat reporter Jacqueline Lee.

There was a fortunate result.

"It's not a break," decided Amy Bouvet, of the Belleville 200 Committee. "It's just a split."

Critical thinking challenge: Why is the football team carrying the bun? Why is a football team better qualified for this task than a basketball team?

• AlexB.48
    9/12/2014 - 10:45 a.m.

If I was asked if I wanted to participate, I would say heck yeah! I enjoy culinary related things and putting money towards food pantries is awesome. I also get to eat a brat.:) I think the football team is carrying the bun to represent their team and they have better grip than basket ball players since you don't dribble a football.

• elenam00
    9/12/2014 - 10:51 a.m.

Yum! Bratwurst are so tasty!! I think it's great that people are still trying new things even when we have already evolved so much since even 1900!!

• saman123saman
    9/12/2014 - 10:59 a.m.

Ew no and it would probably cost a lot of money and it doesn't look good and I think it's a waste of time for people who make it because I think no one would eat it

• blake77
    9/12/2014 - 10:59 a.m.

I think this is doing something good for charity, but the cost of the sausage and the bread is taking away money. The people who need the money should eat the sausage and get the money, that will have two benefits not just one.

• Kandace O.
    9/12/2014 - 11:00 a.m.

It's pretty cool how all of that was for fund raising. I didn't really understand the end too much though but other then that it's cool how that made a 200 foot bratwurst and a bun with it.

• Aldi_
    9/12/2014 - 11:02 a.m.

If I was asked to volunteer in this I would say yes. The reason I would say yes is because it sounds like once in life time opportunity I think its a good idea for the football players to hold the bun.

• Angus6
    9/12/2014 - 11:02 a.m.

If I was asked to, I'd say yeah. It's probably really good and the people who made it must've been prepared to see all the people. The fact that there's a 200ft. long bun is crazy! If it's all going towards donations, I gotta have some!

• Savannah989
    9/12/2014 - 11:04 a.m.

I'm now hungry. Lunch isn't for anther hour, so, I'm hungry. If this is being made, then I think it will make a lot of money. The people who made must be extremely talented to not break it. What's next for them? an $00ft. foot bratwurst?

• Sarahd2001
    9/12/2014 - 11:04 a.m.

I think that it's crazy to make a 100 foot brastwurts. That whole thing is 60 pounds that is pretty heavy for brastwurts. i wouldn't be able to eat that whole thing, and if i tried to accomplish that, it would probably take me a while to finish that. Obviously its really breakable and thin.

• tanya22604
    9/12/2014 - 11:04 a.m.

First off, I've never heard of bratwurst. I think it would be heard to cook 100ft, of bratwurst. Its crazy to think that people could actually do that!