Charlie the cat is back  5 years later Virginia Fryback hugs her cat, Charlie, at Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control in Fort Wayne, Indiana
Charlie the cat is back 5 years later

A cat that went missing five years ago has been reunited with his owner in Indiana. The cat and his owner have a microchip implanted in the cat to thank.

WANE-TV reports the 10-year-old cat named Charlie showed up at Fort Wayne Animal Care and Control.

Workers there scanned the cat and discovered Charlie had a microchip that identified Virginia Fryback of Fort Wayne as his owner.

Fryback says Charlie disappeared from her home five years ago. She thought she'd never see him again. She thanks the veterinarian who convinced her to get a microchip when Charlie was a kitten.

The microchip might have saved Charlie's life.

Microchips are about the size of a grain of rice and transmit information via radio waves. They can contain information. And in this case, Charlie's microchip contained information about his owner.

Critical thinking challenge: Why was it important for Charlies owner to get the microchip implanted when she first got him?

• 1234Caitlin
    4/28/2014 - 08:42 a.m.

It was important to plant the microchip in him because it helps make family time like this possible! It helps to keep track of a pet that was lost. It is so sweet to see him home!

• Donnie Rockholt
    4/28/2014 - 08:46 a.m.

I think it was really cool after five whole years, the cat and his owner can see each other once again. It's pretty cool after five years, that micro chip still works.

• Ebloom25
    4/28/2014 - 08:48 a.m.

It was important to get a microchip in the beginning when she was still a kitten because it would of saved his life and she could of found him a whole lot faster and easier. It's a good thing she has a microchip now so if she goes, the owner will find him easily.

• briona0311
    4/28/2014 - 09:50 a.m.

It was important for Charlie's owner to get the microchip implanted when she first got him so when Charlie gets lost the person or veterinarian can scan Charlie and get the information they need to find Charles's owner.

• leslieb-Koc
    4/28/2014 - 11:26 a.m.

I would be super devastated if I lost my pet for such a long time. After give years of him being missing I would think that he would definitely never come back and that he would probably be dead or someone else had him. If my pet came back like this cat I would be so happy and grateful that I had him back.

• chaseh-Orv
    4/28/2014 - 01:38 p.m.

This is a sad and happy story. I know when I got my two cats about 7 years ago, we got microchips in them. Reading storys like this just makes me more happy and hopeful that if my cat ever goes missing I know they can be found.

• jadalawson
    4/28/2014 - 02:00 p.m.

It is nice that she found her cat after five years. I also wonder why the cat disappeared. Did the cat get lost and just started wondering all over the place? Or did the Charlie just run away?

• christiantyler
    4/28/2014 - 02:02 p.m.

My cat ran away in 2013 and is not back. You are just lucky to have your cat back . You are so lucky to have a microchip.

• abbycasebeer
    4/28/2014 - 02:12 p.m.

Oh my! wow, this is a miracle from God, this woman must be very proud that she found charlie .This is amazing!Again,I say AMAZING!! Most people would have thought about the chip and would have reported their missing cat by now.

• nathanchasenah
    4/28/2014 - 02:22 p.m.

I'm happy that Charlie the cat found its owner.Luckly the cat actually survived for five years and got back home and found its owner there to.