Burger King Japan's latest meal is the new black Burger King's new menu Kuro Diamond burger is prepared at its Shibuya restaurant in Tokyo (AP photos)
Burger King Japan's latest meal is the new black

The first Kuro, or black, burger had a signature black bun and sauce. Last year's edition, the Kuro Ninja, added a slice of (non-black) bacon to the signature black components. Now Burger King Japan is going black on black.

The fast-food chain has added black cheese and deepened the color of the other ingredients in the special burger duo. They were added to menus last week. Burger King Japan wants people to try the burger and find it tasty, Marketing Manager Kana Ienega said.

WHAT'S IT MADE OF?

The Kuro Pearl is simple. It includes a black pepper beef patty covered with Chaliapin (onion and soy) sauce infused with squid ink. Its black cheese and buns are colored with bamboo charcoal. The Kuro Diamond is the same burger. But it's topped with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and mayonnaise.

HOW DOES IT TASTE?

Peppery. If you can get past the shocking color, it's not bad. The black pepper in the patty hits you at the first bite. The tangy sauce hints of squid ink. The Kuro Diamond is juicier. It has extra sauce and mayonnaise.

WHAT DO CUSTOMERS THINK?

Eating one in Tokyo, Kuah Kia Wei, a 14-year-old student from Malaysia, says, "I like it because it has a very interesting taste to it and it's nothing that I've tasted before."

Bernice Chua is a 25-year-old fashion designer and illustrator from Singapore. He says, "the best part is actually the sauce. It's not really about the buns because you don't really taste the bamboo charcoal inside, but I think the sauce really makes up for it."

Julien Tirode, a 37-year-old event planner from France, says, "I'm a little disappointed because to me, it has no special taste or anything."

WHERE CAN YOU GET IT?

The burgers only are available in Japan until November. The Kuro Pearl costs 480 yen ($4.39) and the Kuro Diamond for 690 yen ($6.31). It's not clear why black burgers are a hit in Japan. But the country favors quirky food and drink products. Those include square watermelons, green tea candy bars and ice cucumber Pepsi are commonly sold.

Critical thinking challenge: Why dont all customers have the same reaction to the black burger?

• dw2001purple
    9/23/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

All customers do have the same reaction to the black burger because everyone has different taste buds. Some people might think its nasty, Some might think its good. In my opinion I think the burger looks totally disgusting and the way it looks might want to make me barf, Black bread and black cheese? Its not normal to me. I only deal with yellow and white cheese with white, wheat, or potato bread ! But on the other hand id try it just to see if its good. You never know unless you try!

• Aw2000red
    9/23/2014 - 08:44 a.m.

I would not at all, like to taste a black burger simply because its not a burger its bamboo charcoal buns with a burnt patty.

• Jm1999white
    9/23/2014 - 08:44 a.m.

every one has different taste buds so some people will not like a burger with soy souse or bamboo charcoal flavor. I think that I wouldn't have the guts to try it because it doesn't look appealing to me and looks kind of disgusting. but if people say its good it probable is good.

• DaNe47
    9/23/2014 - 12:33 p.m.

Personally I think this idea is plain out horrible and dumb. They used extra ingredients just to make it an all black burger. Unless you love charcoal and squid, you will be spending a lot of time puking after eating this. Even though the pepper may clear your sinuses it won't end up very good.

• jaedons-Orv
    9/23/2014 - 12:58 p.m.

I would not eat that sandwich. It looks nasty. First of all its black, and second of all I don't like burgers. When I first saw this burger I said eeeeeeew to a girl in my class named Mimi. The burger doesn't look pleasant at all. maybe it does taste good to those that like burgers but me personally. I DON'T LIKE IT!!!

• CHB2001aaa
    9/23/2014 - 01:00 p.m.

Because a lot of the customers might have different taste for things. Also, a lot of peoples taste buds might expand to other flavors and some may just only like a select few.

• AG2001TACO
    9/23/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

Everybody eats and tastes things differently,this is because of our taste buds each and every one of us have a different set of taste and smell which causes some of us to like things and some of us to not. It doesn't mean the food eaten is bad its just disliked by that person and maybe some other people.

• TR2001golden
    9/23/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

I think the black burger is a dumb invention because it looks like a burnt burger. Why would anyone eat a black burger. And black cheese. Did they dye the cheese with black dye or what? I wouldn't want to by that burger.

• CA2001wolf
    9/23/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

I think this will cost Bk a lot of money because very few people would want to buy it and they might have to get rid of the black burger

• L2000neon
    9/23/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

I don't think I would want to try this burger because it doesn't look appealing to me to eat it. The coloring of it would make you think it tastes nasty even though some people said its kind of good.