Schools secret tweeter uses social media for good
Schools secret tweeter uses social media for good

Schools secret tweeter uses social media for good Boyle County High School in Danville, Kentucky, has a mystery angel who is making it a point to focus on the good rather than the bad, and it seems to be making a difference.

In January, a new Twitter account was started with the handle BCHSAnonymous and a profile statement that reads, "My mission? It's simple. To spread positivity around Boyle County High School."

Several tweets were sent out to get the positive vibes started.

"Let's do something crazy," said the first tweet posted on January 25, followed by four more introductory tweets:

"There's no doubt that there is a lot of negativity in our everyday lives."

"Why not do something to change that?"

"Starting now, I'll anonymously compliment Boyle County High School students and staff."

"Hopefully along the way I can put a smile on someone's face and make our school a better place."

Since then, the anonymous tweeter has posted uplifting, encouraging and complimentary tweets focusing on students and staff members.

Julie Taylor, district drama coach for Boyle County Schools, says she is impressed and excited about the anonymous tweeter.

"I just think it's a great idea," said Taylor. "There's so much negativity on social media, and it's nice to see someone being positive. I don't know who it is, but I'm pretty sure it's a student."

"The only thing bigger than @HagenTyler_2015's future is his heart. His kindness and humility is so nice to see. He's gonna change things," read a tweet.

"Mrs. Casey from Guidance is a wonderful lady. She's helpful to everyone. Plus, her candles make that corner of the school smell great," read another.

The mystery tweeter also sends out global messages of encouragement to those who may be struggling with common teen issues.

"If you're looking for a sign not to kill, harm or insult yourself, this is it. If no one else is telling you they love you, I will," said the encouraging tweet.

It is not entirely certain if the good Samaritan is a student or a faculty member. However, tweeted clues seem to point to a student.

When asked by a Twitter follower about the tweeter's identity, BCHSAnonymous said, "Can't say at the moment ... I'm going to stay under the radar :) All I can tell you is that I go to BCHS."

"I don't know who it is, but I follow them on Twitter," said freshman Elizabeth Lyons, "I think it's a great thing. It really brightens people's day."

Students have responded and publicly thanked @BCHSAnonymous with tweets of their own.

"@BCHSAnonymous thank you so much! I really appreciate it! This is really cool what you're doing," tweeted a student.

Another student said, "@BCHSAnonymous wow! Thank you so much! Whoever you are, keep it up!" and another tweeted, "@BCHSAnonymous thank you! You made my heart smile."

BCHSAnonymous has certainly made an impact on the students and faculty at the high school.

"Teenagers get a lot of attention for the negative things they post on the Internet" said Taylor. "I think it's important to give attention to the positive. I also really like how the person behind it is remaining anonymous, so it's really a selfless thing to do."

With nearly 400 followers, the high school Twitter angel has the school buzzing with speculation, but many like the anonymity aspect of the tweets and hope it stays that way.

"I don't want to find out who it is. I think it's nice that we aren't worried about who it is. We just think it's a positive part of the day. And, I like how they mention teachers too," said senior Cierra Hawkins.

The tweets have cast a positive outlook on the entire school and students say they look forward to seeing BCHSAnonymous' latest compliment.

"They mention a lot of kids that wouldn't get attention otherwise. A lot of the kids mentioned aren't involved in things like sports, so they are getting attention too," said senior Aaron Lewis.

"It's a nice contrast to all the other accounts that are really negative," said Savannah Stow, a junior.

One recent post reads, "There are 16 days of school left, so that's 16 opportunities to help someone. You never know how big of an impact your actions can make."

Critical thinking challenge: Why are the tweets more effective because they are anonymous? How might the tweeter or fellow students behave differently if they knew the identity of the tweeter?

• KALIANAM-ZDE
    5/27/2014 - 09:40 a.m.

Whoever the anonymous tweeter is, they absolutely deserve an award for it. There is so much hate and negativity on the internet and on social media, notably to teens. It is so admirable that this account with one single positive account can help so many people.

• allisonr-Koc
    5/27/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

Because all of students see and paid more attention to social media and, every student used it every day. So is better to posted secretly then for people to know who it is .

• BrookeI4
    5/27/2014 - 05:56 p.m.

On Twitter, there is an anonymous account called "BCHSAnonymous" run by an anonymous student that goes to Boyle County Hight School. This account is giving/posting compliments about other accounts to brighten up their day and make them feel special. This reminds me of seeing an account on another social media website that posts nice compliments to random people on this social media website. I think this is so thoughtful of this person to think about other people to recognize that everyone is special and unique in their own way.

• brentho66
    5/27/2014 - 08:31 p.m.

• brentho66
    5/27/2014 - 08:33 p.m.

This story is about someone who anonymously created a twitter account to spread good vibes around BCHS, a highschool. Some of the things he says are "Mrs. Casey from Guidance is a wonderful lady. She's helpful to everyone. Plus, her candles make that corner of the school smell great," and The first complimentary tweet read, "First compliment goes to @briannlynn98 she's a an absolute sweetheart. Brianna, your smile and positive outlook doesn't go unnoticed." I think something like this is going to be created at multiple schools to brighten other peoples days. I think this is a very interesting article and I learned a lot from reading about this. I wonder if the person who created @BCHSanonymous will ever come out and tell who he/she is but I don't think they should because creating the illusion that the creator could be anybody in the whole school is more personal than knowing who its from.

• SARAHL-ZDE
    5/28/2014 - 02:41 p.m.

This article is truly inspiring. All of this is so true. People do get bullied on social media signs and most people look at only the negative aspects. However the positive out look on people and who the truly are is a very nice change.

• RachelBi
    5/28/2014 - 05:33 p.m.

Some in my school district has done something like this. I'm not sure if its still up, but I have heard about it. The person would compliment people for being good at something.

• ROBERTS-ZDE
    5/29/2014 - 08:13 p.m.

This goes to show that not everyone on social media acts like someone who they aren't. He shows that some kids do have good intentions and integrity. This is a positive sign to adults to show that social media can be effective in a young persons life and not detrimental.

• 9KeeliaP
    5/30/2014 - 07:28 a.m.

My interpretation of this story is that it is about kindness, selflessness, and being a good samaritan. I think the big reasons that this story is being spread is that it's an example people think should be followed or to stress how big of an impact nice comments can really mean. Being anonymous is also showing an example to follow because it proves that you can be selfless in todays modern age without worrying about your popularity and just being able to brighten someones day. It's aso nice to think that kids actually await positive comments instead of being sad by the negative ones. I also think that the teachers are also on board with the idea because to them it is just a great way to push positivity back into kids stressful school days.

• toryhernandez
    5/30/2014 - 07:53 a.m.

The tweets are more effective anonymous because it gives someone a little boost of self esteem. It also gives other people the opportunity to be nice to one another. I think students wouldn't act differently if they knew the identity of the tweeter. They would just know who it was and know what exactly they said.