If you found $125,000, would you give it back? (- Getty Images)
If you found $125,000, would you give it back?

A Salvation Army worker in California is being rewarded for his decision to return a bag containing $125,000 that fell from an armored truck.

Joe Cornell told The Fresno Bee that he found the cash Tuesday after a Brinks truck pulled away from a red light in Fresno and left the sack behind.

"I started crying and shaking," Cornell said. "Everything was going through my mind the good devil/bad devil thing. What to do?"

Thoughts of the imminent arrival of his fourth grandchild soon helped him decide.

"I thought, 'What would I want her to think of me?' That made up my mind right there," he said. "I got on my radio and called my boss. 'Hey, I found a bag of money.' "

Cornell, 52, is in a Salvation Army substance-abuse rehabilitation program. His duties for the organization include working on donated trailers.

"I went down there carrying the bag like I was Santa Claus," Cornell said.

Brinks spokesman Ed Cunningham said he isn't sure how the truck lost the money, and he called the incident a security issue.

The company will give Cornell a $5,000 reward and make a separate $5,000 donation to the Salvation Army.

Critical thinking challenge: Why did Joe give the money back? Why did Brinks give Joe a reward?

• NIKKIS-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 10:57 a.m.

that was a wise chose. most people in today's society would have kept the money, not even thinking twice about returning it. he truly is an honorable man.

• KAYLIEC-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 11:08 a.m.

Good for him. Not many would return that much money. Its really comes to show how good behavior gets rewarded. I'm glad that there is still good people in this world.

• MICHELLEM-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 12:18 p.m.

It was very noble of Cornell to give the bag of money back. Many would've easily just kept it but since he wanted to set a good example for his granddaughter he didn't. This man certainly did deserve the reward he got because it wasn't an easy decision to make and if he would've kept the bag then the bank, or wherever the money was from, would've lost a lot of money!

• CIERRAHC-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 12:58 p.m.

if i was to find $125,000 i would keep it. I would spend half of the money and the other half can go into a bank account.There would be a situation when of course the owner would look for it and i would say i do not have it.The person that is included is the difference because i feel as that i found it so i should put it to good use for myself.

• BRENDAT-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 01:07 p.m.

I think it's great, that Joe found the money and returned it. Although, Joe could have kept the money and had more cash heeded up with good money an his conscious will be that he did the right thing. People will probably look up to Joe, because he did something well for him and anyone.

• 8annam
    6/02/2014 - 01:58 p.m.

I think it's cool that he gave the money back! I do wonder how the money got out of the truck? It's good that he thought about what his grand child would think of him.

• 8elliee
    6/02/2014 - 02:47 p.m.

joe gave the money back because his 4th grandchild arrived. he thought what would i want her to think of me and he gave it back. he got a reward because he returned the money instead of keeping it. i think joe is a really good person. id like to think id return it to, but still, its a really good thing to do.

• Angiered1
    6/02/2014 - 04:52 p.m.

That's actually super cool of the man to bring the money back. I'm sure many people would not take it back but use it for themselves. I would like to think that I would take the money back but you never really know u less your in a situation like that. I thought It was also very thoughtful that he thought of his granddaughter while contemplating about giving the money back. That was really nice that he brought the money back with her in mind. This story was quite an interesting thing to read.

• brentho66
    6/02/2014 - 09:43 p.m.

A salvation army worker in California found $125,000 in a bag that fell from an armor trucked. "I started crying and shaking," the man said and he was wondering whether or not he should keep it or take it. He later told his boss that he found a bag of money and they ended up giving $5000 to the man who found the bag and $5000 to the salvation army, the Brinks ended up getting the rest of the money back. I think if this was less money the guy would've taken it since it was so much money it was kinda overwhelming at the spot and thinking of all the bad scenarios I can see almost everyone trying to give the money back. Even though he gave back $125,000, and only got a $5000 it must suck to think you could've kept the $125,000 and not of told a single soul.

• WarrenB-4
    6/02/2014 - 10:36 p.m.

Summary:
    This article is about a Salvation Army worker who found a bag of money. His name, Joe and he found 175,000$. When he found it, a rush of good and bad ideas went by. He decided to give the bag in because of his fourth grandchild. In return he got 5,000$. There has also been a separate donation to the Salvation Army of 5,000$.
    Opinion:
    I think the man made a very smart choice.