Fisherman pulls a goblin from the deep This goblin shark was caught in the Gulf of Mexico (YouTube)
Fisherman pulls a goblin from the deep

A rare shark has been pulled up from the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. And it's not pretty.

It's called a goblin shark. The shrimp fisherman who caught it in his net said it looked prehistoric. It was about 18 feet long, with razor-sharp teeth.

The 63-year-old fisherman told NBC he's caught other sharks before during his 15 years as a shrimping captain, but this one was way different.

"I didn't know what it was. ... He had some mean-looking teeth and I didn't want to get caught up in those."

Because the sharks usually live very deep -- at depths of about 4,000 feet and mostly in seas near Japan and South Africa -- there isn't a lot known about them. They also have moveable jaws that can expand from their bodies when capturing prey.

The goblin shark caught off Key West is only the second recorded to be found in the Gulf of Mexico. The first one was in 2000.

Critical thinking challenge: How does the goblin sharks jaw help it eat?

• Q-Satow.1
    5/05/2014 - 10:15 p.m.

A shrimp fisherman got the catch of his life when he caught a rare goblin shark. The fisherman said that he had caught other sharks before, but this one was way different, he even said that it looked "prehistoric". "I didn't know what it was" He recalled "He had some mean-looking teeth and I didn't want to get caught up in those." The goblin shark lives at around 4,000 feet underwater, so there isn't much known about them other then that they have movable jaws that can expand their bodies to catch prey.
    I think that this is an odd case, what could have caused an animal that lives at the depths of the ocean to come to the surface. Is it global warming? Or just a error on the animal's side, I guess time will tell on that one.

• KH20deus
    5/06/2014 - 10:10 a.m.

this shark looks like a shape shiftin mutant from a show this is really weird. thats besides the point this shark looks mean and i would not want to go near it.

• CaydenCamoQ4
    5/06/2014 - 11:33 a.m.

That is very cool but weird. That would be kind of scary to catch one of those. I did not know that there were goblin sharks in the gulf of Mexico.

• NakoomaKewenvoyouma-Lar
    5/06/2014 - 11:40 a.m.

The jaw can actually help it catch big prey, because knowing that the jaw can expand the big prey have no escape. This shark seems scary and it just lets us know that there are more creatures that we do not know of and it seems frightening to know there could be others. I mean we can not go that deep into the water, which makes it harder to explore the deep depths of the ocean. People never know what is really down in the ocean and it would be good to know and explore more if we can.

• IsiahBrockie-Lar
    5/06/2014 - 11:50 a.m.

The goblins's jew helps it eat because of its sharp teeth and also it expands from their bodies so they could capture a prey from a far distance. I think that this shark is intreseting because it looks cool and probabaly has a history behind it.

• brynnd
    5/06/2014 - 01:35 p.m.

This is a scary looking shark. I am already afraid of sharks as it is, now finding this new shark is even scarier. I am afraid to swim now!

• BrandonI
    5/06/2014 - 01:36 p.m.

I can see where the shark gets its name from. The thing is pretty ugly and looks like a goblin with its long nose. I bet seeing that shark gave the man a spoke.

• KailynPa
    5/06/2014 - 01:36 p.m.

I have never heard of goblin sharks, let alone see a picture of them. I think they are really gross looking, and I would be terrified to have caught one.

• RachelBi
    5/06/2014 - 01:37 p.m.

I have never heard of nor seen a goblin shark . How can their jaw expand from their body to capture prey. Just thinking about it grosses me out

• Lindsay C
    5/06/2014 - 01:42 p.m.

This is so cool. I'm surprised not many people have ever seen this rare shark. I think the name goblin shark is a little stupid. The shark doesn't look like a goblin to me.