Family looks for new dog, finds old one instead The James family of Eatontown who found their dog "Reckless" a year and half after losing him during Superstorm Sandy. Kelsey James hugs Reckless, below left
Family looks for new dog, finds old one instead

Many pets got separated from their families almost two years ago, when Superstorm Sandy struck the East Coast. A New Jersey family was one of them. They lost their dog, a terrier-pit bull mix. He escaped from their backyard during the storm.

Chuck James says that his family searched for the brown-and-white dog, named Reckless, for months after the October 2012 storm. But finally, they gave up hope.

"We reported him missing and called the shelters periodically, just hoping they had him," James said. "We always kept our hopes up, but eventually it's time to move on."

James said the family had planned in recent weeks to get a new dog. The dog was to be a 10th birthday surprise for their eldest daughter, Ally.

The family of five went to the Monmouth County SPCA to adopt a new animal. But when James and his wife approached the first cage, they saw a familiar face inside.

"He was a little bigger than I remembered because they had fed him well," James joked. "But then he was laying on my wife's feet, and I knew it was him. ... I was in disbelief. I know this dog is meant to be with our family."

When SPCA officials asked if they could prove the animal was their dog, a friend sent over a picture showing the family with their dog before Sandy hit the Jersey shore.

"We're all so happy to have him back," James said.

SPCA officials say Reckless was picked up as a stray and has now been microchipped.

The family is living in a hotel while their storm-damaged Keansburg home is repaired. This weekend, the Jameses went on a camping trip with Reckless to celebrate the dog's return.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is Reckless less likely to get lost again?

• MarissaColvin
    5/08/2014 - 10:07 a.m.

I'm glad that they reunited. I would be sad if I lost my dog during a hurricane. It would have been a tragedy if their dog died. But it didn't. But I hope that they have a better life after Sandy.

• lk30pink
    5/08/2014 - 10:09 a.m.

I think that is really amazing. I would have never expected to find the dog if i was that family. Its like a miracle that they ended up finding their pet after over a year.

• BT16marie
    5/08/2014 - 10:14 a.m.

It's pretty incredible that they happened to find him at the county SPCA. Especially since it was their daughter's birthday. Good thing he survived the storm and somebody found him and took care of him.

• orahf-
    5/08/2014 - 12:53 p.m.

The story was about the dog who was lost. It happened inNew Jersey druing a bad storm. They looked around the for the dog. They went to the shelter to get the same dog. They found their dog that was lost two years ago.

• amandad-
    5/08/2014 - 01:04 p.m.

This article is about the dog who ran away from home because of the storm. The reason Reckless is less likely to get lost again is because of the micro chipped that SPCA gave the James Family. It took place in New Jersey. The family found the dog two years later. The dog was happy that he was with his family again because the James Family found the same dog.

• emmab12342624-
    5/08/2014 - 01:10 p.m.

Chuck James said that his family searched for the brown & white Dog named Reckless in Monmouth County SPCA after a bad storm. The New Jersey family was one of them. Many pets got separated from their owners 2 years ago. So, the James family decided to find Reckless & they did. Because it was?t a new dog; it was their old dog Reckless. & they were very happy to have him back again.

• bobbyb-
    5/08/2014 - 01:15 p.m.

The story is about Reckless who was lost during the storm. The owners went to the shelter to find another dog. They found the same dog that was lost 2 years ago. It took place in New Jersey. They put a microchip on the dog, so the dog won't get lost again.

• emmab12342624-
    5/08/2014 - 01:19 p.m.

The dog? name was Reckless. But one October 2012, a storm rumbled & Reckless escaped from the storm. Chuck James & his family searched high & low looking for Reckless because they wanted him back. Just then, they have up hope & went to the pet store to look for a new dog. But suddenly, it all came easy. The new dog was the their old dog Reckless! Reckless was happy to be w/ his owners again.

• n.m.11blue
    5/08/2014 - 02:34 p.m.

I think that this is an amazing anything. If i were to ever lose my dog i would be devistated because she is a part of the family. I feel truly happy for this family.

• colleenl-Ste
    5/08/2014 - 02:35 p.m.

This is such a cute story and it kind of has a message to never give up hope in it. I mean if I lost a dog during a hurricane and then found him again at an animal shelter months later, I would be in complete shock and be beyond happy.