Do you know what it takes to be an American citizen? (Thinkstock)
Do you know what it takes to be an American citizen?

Three former South Carolina governors are leading an effort to have high school students take a citizenship test. The following are 25 of the questions they'd be asked. They are among the 100 questions on a list that federal officers use when testing immigrants seeking citizenship.

What is the supreme law of the land?

What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Constitution?

What is one right or freedom in the First Amendment?

What is the economic system of the United States?

Name one branch or part of the government.

What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress?

What is the name of the president of the United States now?

If the president can no longer serve, who becomes president?

How many justices are on the Supreme Court?

What is the capital of your state?

What are the two major political parties in the United states?

Name one right only for United States citizens.

How old do citizens have to be to vote for president?

What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?

Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?

Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?

There were 13 original states. Name three.

Who was the first president?

Name the U.S. war between the North and the South.

What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?

Who did the United States fight in World War II?

What major event happened on Sept. 11, 2001, in the United States?

Name one state that borders Mexico.

Why does the flag have 50 stars?

What is the name of the national anthem?

Here are links to the answers

Critical thinking challenge: Why are people requesting U.S. citizenship required to take a test and answer questions like these?

• ARany-Cas
    9/23/2014 - 11:24 a.m.

I would say that people are requesting U.S citizenship be required to take a test and answer question like these because these are the right questions to ask and the original ones and the most important questions that everyone needs to know to become a citizen.

• NJ2001Game
    9/23/2014 - 12:59 p.m.

To make sure that children are paying attention and that they learn their culture. This is important because if you need to immigrate back into America then you will need to know these things.

• vincet-Koc
    9/23/2014 - 01:52 p.m.

I believe that knowing these questions is a crucial step into becoming an American citizen , because knowing about the history of America can help you become a better American.

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    9/24/2014 - 09:22 a.m.

Personally, I know that I would not be able to answer half of those questions correctly. I feel as though my school doesn't really ever touch base on current events. I feel as though it is a necessity in life to know the basics of the government.

• TF00Music
    9/24/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

Well, the U.S right now is very "on Alert" because of the terrorism and other thing that we need to be on alert for. They want to make sure that people can answer the questions because that way we know that they didn't come here to harm our country and so on.

• jesustorres23
    9/25/2014 - 08:27 a.m.

i love basketball my favorite team is the miami heat and my favorite player is lebron james and my favorite legendary player is michael jordan

• TBryan-Sti
    9/25/2014 - 09:52 a.m.

Well You Want To Jump The Boarder That Is The First Step To Be A American Citizen Even If You Don't Wan't To Be A American Citizen.

• NashMcComsey-Ste
    9/25/2014 - 01:30 p.m.

I have known for a long time that the U.S. citizenship test was something that is difficult to pass. I wonder how many people decide to come into the country illegally due to the difficulty of the citizen test.

• GSteven-Cas
    9/27/2014 - 09:56 a.m.

I fell like adding this would be okay because if you go through high school you should know all the questions. Also it is important to know the history of you nation.

• joshn-Koc
    9/29/2014 - 12:11 a.m.

To put it bluntly, I honestly think that people need to show that they are worthy of living in the Unites States of America. If you live in America, you need to have at least some type of knowledge about our country and how it works. Also, if we let anybody move here, it would be risky and we would be open to a terrorist attack.