Barking couldn't save deaf boy, so dog licked him Ace, a pit bull, outside Lindsay and James Bernard'a home, which caught fire (AP photos)
Barking couldn't save deaf boy, so dog licked him

A pit bull named Ace is being hailed as a hero for licking the face of a sleeping, deaf 13-year-old Indianapolis boy to alert him that the house was on fire.

Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith says Nick Lamb was home alone and sleeping without his hearing aids when the fire began Wednesday.

"My dog licked my face and woke me up," Lamb said. "I was like, 'Stop it! What? You want to be fed?' I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside."

Ace didn't stop licking Nick until the teen got up, too. That's when he realized the house was full of smoke.

"I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. ... My dog Ace smelled it," Lamb said. "I just wanted to get out."

Without his shoes but with Ace by his side, he covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt darted out the back door, grabbing one of his implants along the way.

He then called his mother and 911.

Lindsay Bernard, Lamb's mother, credited Ace with saving her son from injury.

"It's amazing, because if he wouldn't have been there, he probably wouldn't have even woke up," Bernard said.

Lamb, who was born deaf, told firefighters that this was the first summer he was old enough to stay home alone and that he had returned from summer camp just three days earlier.

Firefighters found the family's cat, "Pixie," inside the home. She was taken to a vet for smoke inhalation and was expected to recover.

Damage to the home was estimated at $175,000.

Critical thinking challenge: If Nick couldn't hear Ace barking, why didn't Ace bark louder?

• VictoriaRuizR
    8/05/2014 - 11:22 p.m.

A pit bull called Ace saved the life of a 13-year-old boy who was deaf and was sleeping while the house was on fire. The boy is called Nick, and he was born deaf. At the time the fire began to spark, Nick was sleeping without his hearing implants, so his dog started to lick his face until he woke up. When Nick woke up, he realized the house was full of smoke, therefore he covered his nose and mouth with a T-shirt and he went outside without his shoes , accompanied by his dog. He then called his mother and 911. His mom praises Ace because he was very clever and he did what the cat couldn't do. The cat was inside the house at that moment, so he inhaled the smoke. As a result, he had to be taken to the vet.
    In my opinion, this story shows that pit bulls are not mean dogs. There is a generalized stereotype which says that pit bulls kill people and children, but it's not true. Dogs act by instinct, so when they feel threatened, they act without reasoning (because they are not humans). Even though there are cases when they have killed people, we can't stigmatize this dog breed. Ace is the beautiful proof of an intelligent dog; they can act very fast in dangerous situations and save human lives. Good job Ace!

• amb31463
    8/12/2014 - 09:02 a.m.

Dogs are very aware of their surroundings and aware if something is wrong with their owner.In this case ace alerted his owner who is deaf that their house was on fire.

• AllisonLogan1
    8/13/2014 - 08:47 a.m.

Ace,the boy's dog, was a hero and saved this boy's life. Lamb,the boy, was deaf, and he couldn't hear anything because he didn't have his hearing aides in. I think the dog was very protected over this boy's life, so he licked him til he got up. If it wasn't for this dog to be in the house, Lamb would be dead now.

• pizza55
    9/03/2014 - 09:48 a.m.

I will love that dog so much. I will give it a big bone for saving my life. I will love that dog for ever. That dog need to be loved a lot.

• joshn-Koc
    9/08/2014 - 08:24 p.m.

Ace did not bark louder because he saw that the boy, Nick Lamb, was not reacting to the sound of his bark. Ace figured that licking him would definitely get his attention Nick is only disabled in one of the five senses, hearing. On a side note, I think that this story shows that pit bulls are not violent and aggressive as people make them to be. There are so many negative stereotypes about pit bulls so people assume that if one of them is violent, then all of them are. The way we nurture and care for our dogs decides how their attitude will be.

• EW2001blue
    9/11/2014 - 01:08 p.m.

Ace didn't bark louder because Nick is deaf. Ace being the good dog that he is licked Nicks face to try and wake him up because it would have been very dangerous if Nick hadn't awaken to get to safety.

• raymon03
    9/25/2014 - 10:35 a.m.

A dog that saved a little thirteen year old boy from getting burned and know the dog is known as a hero to many people.

• MeganHa-Wil
    10/16/2014 - 01:22 p.m.

That dog is such a hero! That boy must have been very grateful for his dog to be so smart to instead of bark to lick his face. I've heard of dogs that help disabled people and they are super smart ,but I've never really heard of a dog saving someones life by licking them because they are def!

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    10/20/2014 - 08:44 p.m.

Aw, this is amazing! I love how animals care for humans even though we are not the same species. I feel like some animals can more for people than some people do towards their neighbor. Animals don't judge us by the way we look and they will try to protect us if they know we are in danger, as long as they are our pet or know we have cared for them.

• Ameliam-Lam
    10/22/2014 - 01:20 p.m.

I think it is pretty remarkable that a dog saved a person's life, but this is just another example of things that happen almost every day. It shows how smart animals are, their loyalty, and how they almost always know what to do by instinct. This kind of thing reveals how capable they really are.