50 Cents pitch is not on the money 50 Cent throws out the ceremonial first pitch before a baseball game between the New York Mets and the Pittsburgh Pirates
50 Cents pitch is not on the money

The ceremonial first pitch is a tradition in baseball.

Only 50 Cent, the rap star, did not just miss his target. He was way, way wide with his pitch. It happened Tuesday night before the Pittsburgh Pirates played the New York Mets.

Standing on the pitcher's mound, 50 Cent wound up for his left-handed toss. It sailed way wide of Mets catcher Anthony Recker. The ball bounced to the backstop and nearly nicked a cameraman.

It missed home plate by such a wide margin that replays of it might be shown for years.

50 Cent seemed to get a kick out of it. He smiled.

The rapper wore a Mets jersey with No. 50. His real name is Curtis Jackson III. He will play a concert after a Mets game at Citi Field on June 14.

Critical thinking challenge: Why do celebrities make a ceremonial first pitch at baseball games? How do teams benefit from these pitches? Dont they merely delay the start of the game?

Assigned 1 time

• 2AndrewB
    5/28/2014 - 12:57 p.m.

I think this is so funny because a rap star never makes a fool of them self and is always serious. He goes and embarrasses himself. I would say he lost 50 perCENT of his cool. He should redeem him self sometime. Obviously rapping is what he does not playing baseball.

• JadenB-2
    5/28/2014 - 10:30 p.m.

Curtis Jackson 3rd, 50 Cent, is not exactly the best pitcher in the world. As the ceremonial opening of the game the rapper was picked to throw the first pitch, but he wasn't exactly on the money. His pitch wasn't just off it was way, way off. The game was the Pittsburgh pirates and the New York Mets. 50 Cent wore a Mets jersey with the number 50 on it. However 50 Cent wasn't too mad about, he actually seemed to laugh about it. Thats hilarious, he comes off as a really intimidating, athletic guy but i guess not, that might have just been bad luck though. I love 50 Cent and his music, but I hate the pirates and the Mets, I don't see what 50 Cent sees in the Mets.

• 2EricY
    5/28/2014 - 10:37 p.m.

50 Cent may not have had solid throw but at least he isn't sore about it. If you watch the video you can really see how much amusement he got out of the throw after he had done it. I think this was probably a great experience for him even then it didn't go as planned on the field and I think that everyone will enjoy this for a long time.

• brandi617
    5/29/2014 - 02:47 p.m.

I have seen the video of him throwing the ball. Its pretty funny. I honestly would laugh at my self if that happened to me. It would be a little embarrassing but you have to laugh at you self sometimes. This kind of shows that you need to practice thinks before you try them in front of people.

• 5cooperC
    5/29/2014 - 05:35 p.m.

I think celebraties do these kind of things to show to the public that they can do good things for the public but they should practice before they do big things like this in front of a lot of people

• 3JackP
    5/29/2014 - 07:32 p.m.

On may 28 a Rapper threw out the first pitch of the game. The Rappers Nickname was 50 cents, but his real name is Curtis Jackson the Third. When he threw out the pitch however it was not as accurate as he might have hoped. The pitch sailed past the catcher and ended at the backstop barely missing a camera man filming the event. This all happened at the New York Mets Stadium in New York while they were facing the Pittsburg Pirates.

Responding to The 5W's

• NicoK-5
    5/29/2014 - 10:38 p.m.

The rapper, 50 cent, threw an opening pitch at a Mets game. He missed, completely. His throw went way wide and missed the catcher. He almost hit a camera man, but it made him laugh. He performed a concert after the game.
    I thought this was a funny article. After I read this I looked up the video and laughed.

• 9KeeliaP
    5/30/2014 - 07:01 a.m.

In my opinion I think that 50 cent's blunder was funny. I mean it's hilarious that he would miss the plate by such a wide margin. And he was also pretty good at just laughing and smiling the whole incident off. But in some ways him missing the pitch was pretty sad. Because he misses it by that large of a margin it seems ridiculous, especially since i've never heard of this kind of thing happening before.

• 5ScottR
    5/30/2014 - 09:31 a.m.

I think they also should do what they do best what is what made them famouise and not do other things like pitch a baseball ,

• DominicK711