Would you wait in a line all night for a hot dog? Hot Doug's customers wait in a line that leads down the block (AP photos)
Would you wait in a line all night for a hot dog?

It has been perhaps the city's most unusual hot dog stand. Customers in Chicago could order some odd dogs. How about one stuffed with rattlesnake?

Then the owner of Hot Doug's decided the shop will close for good. Many hot dog fans expected to come for one last taste. But what happened was a surprise.

Customers brought lawn chairs, card tables and poker chips. Anything to help pass the time. The wait could take up to eight hours. Someone even asked for $300 to buy a place in line.

Friday is Hot Doug's last day. The line of customers outside has made more news than the stand ever did.

Christopher Sanders and his buddy David Kudla became Wednesday's first customers. This was at 12:45 a.m. They unfolded lawn chairs to wait. The doors would not open until 10:30 a.m.

Sanders, 29, had never been to Doug's. He'd been put off by the sight of long lines. None were as long as what was to come, however.

"I've driven past it, seen the lines and said, 'I'm not waiting that long. It's crazy.'" But, he added, "I will never get a chance to do it ever again."

Sergio Deleon arrived at 3 a.m. He knew that if he was not in his college classroom by 11, it could cost him a full grade.

"Gonna be worth it," said the 24-year-old Deleon. He had a plan for salvaging an A. He would buy a hot dog for the professor.

Dani Ploszaj is a bartender. She had a special way to pass the time in line. She learned the names of the others.

"I was like, 'Hey, what's your name? What's your name?'" she said. She pointed to the 48th, 49th and 50th people in line. They were Michelle, Annie and Patrick.

"Now they're all my friends."

• cm2001KING
    10/07/2014 - 08:41 a.m.

I think this is bogus why would people wait in a line for almost 7 to 8 hours just for a hot dog when I can go to shoprite and get hot dogs and cook them inless then 10 mins

• ges Emmah t
    10/07/2014 - 10:44 a.m.

That most be some good hot dog if all of them waited in that long line.

• gesmayra
    10/07/2014 - 10:45 a.m.

That is crazy.Who would do that?Really for a hot dog.That' s stupid enough for a hot dog.Who ever is
    that they are crazy you know.They must be hungry.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/07/2014 - 09:08 p.m.

I think it is really crazy to waiting in line that long. I would have never come to the restaurant even though I really want to. I agree to eat the hot dog at Hot Doug's but the line is so long that I will not eat the halt dog. I learned that people feel very sorry that Hot Doug's is closing and a lot of people wanted to go do say farewell to a hot dog stand named Hot Doug's. I am amazed because a lot of people went to eat at Hot Doug's before the stand closes forever.

• MelissaM-Cal
    10/09/2014 - 09:12 p.m.

What!!!! Wait in line for a hot dog and take eight hours! It must be that good.I would not stay in line that long.

• Katelynb23
    10/13/2014 - 12:31 p.m.

i think it is crazy to wait outside a hot dog shop at midnight for just a simple hot dog. but I'm sure it tasted GOOD!!!!!!

• Katelynb23
    10/13/2014 - 12:33 p.m.

• darren23
    10/13/2014 - 12:37 p.m.

I can not beleave that sanders,29,had never been to Dou"s

• noah88113
    10/13/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

why would you wait in line for a hot dog just go to coney island.maby the hot dogs are really popluer and really good.

• Lamira-Abd
    10/14/2014 - 08:35 a.m.

Maybe i will wait in line for an hotdog if its that good .I would because the hotdog might be good.I wont because i dont have to wait in line that long and just wast my time so i might or might not.