Would you pay $46,532 for jeans? Levi's did. Actor James Dean is seen during a scene from the Warner Bros. 1956 epic, "Giant." The film is a story of three generations of a wealthy Texas ranching family (AP photos)
Would you pay $46,532 for jeans? Levi's did.

An unusual festival is planned next fall. It will celebrate Reno as the birthplace of blue jeans.

Jacob Davis created riveted denim jeans in 1871. That was in a Reno tailor shop. Two years later, he and Levi Strauss & Co. patented the pants. They're the ones with the rivets to the corners and pockets. Miners, loggers and cowboys loved them. That's because they didn't wear out like regular pants.

The festival next year will be held Oct. 2-4.

"Those of us fortunate to live and work in Reno-Tahoe USA now like to brag, 'We have copper rivets in our genes,'" said Chris Baum. He is head of the Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority. He used a pun to emphasize the importance of jeans.

Interest in Davis' role in the birth of the jeans grew in 2001. That's when Levi Strauss & Co. purchased a special pair. The pants dated to an 1880s mining town in Nevada. They sold at auction for $46,532.

Baum became boss of the RSCVA in 2012. He said he had never heard of Reno's connection to Levi's. Then someone phoned him with the story. He started doing research. He wanted to see if there was a way to use jeans to help promote the region.

He said next October's event comes at a good time. It is right before the Sierra ski season opens.

• shocker97
    10/06/2014 - 12:04 p.m.

Why would someone pay $46,532? Now, you could buy it for under $50. Even though its a new product, doesn't mean you need it no matter what. Jeans just feel different from other pants, that's all. even though you like blue, doesn't mean you get blue, doesn't mean you get blue pants. and if you did want blue pants, just buy it for like $15.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/06/2014 - 10:02 p.m.

I think the person who invented the jeans are amazing. I agree that some person who comes up with the idea of pants brags. I think the invention of the pants was a great idea . I learned that someone collaborated to make jeans long time ago when it was the time when there were miners. I am amazed because pants were inventions from long ago.

• Lamira-Abd
    10/10/2014 - 08:46 a.m.

I think paying 46,532for levis is too much because you could just go to like the mall or something and get them 20 or 30 dollars.

• jada23
    10/13/2014 - 12:39 p.m.

WOW. I would definitely not pay that much for jeans . Especially no one wears jeans anymore. That's very very very very very very very crazy.

• MelissaM-Cal
    10/16/2014 - 09:54 p.m.

Would you pay $46,532 for jeans? No, I will not pay that much and I did not now that they were made in Reno.What there was festival to I did not now!

• renni001
    10/22/2014 - 02:36 p.m.

lol love it! can u make more in kids size ill be better!

• Tiffany0307-yyca
    1/05/2015 - 06:41 p.m.

Well, no I wouldn't buy those jeans for that much money. I don't really think those jeans need to cost so much money. But those jeans mean something to those long-ago day people. But today, I don't think it will be very popular because some of us already have those stylish jeans, or there are too much clothes, or maybe it's just too much money. Anyway, I think those pants cost way too much money. Maybe those people from long time ago should just wear their own pants. But in my opinion, I don't think we should really get those pants and we have to spend our money on things we really need, like food, shelter, and after school bills, and work, and stuff like that. Even though I buy a lot of things I want, I think it's just actually best to buy the things you need.

• KateM-Kut
    5/11/2015 - 04:16 p.m.

Jacob Davis created riveted denim jeans in 1871. That was in a Reno tailor shop. Two years later, he and Levi Strauss & Co. patented the pants. They're the ones with the rivets to the corners and pockets.role in the birth of the jeans grew in 2001.The pants dated to an 1880s mining town in Nevada. They sold at auction for $46,532.