Would you go bowling if they changed the rules? (ThinkStock)
Would you go bowling if they changed the rules?

Kevin Dornberger and his Swedish friend Christer Jonsson were watching a tournament in Hong Kong. They made it through most of the afternoon. Then Jonsson, the secretary general of the World Tenpin Bowling Association, looked at Dornberger, the president of World Bowling.

"This is boring," he said.

Dornberger agreed. He has bowled since he was eight. He had a 40-plus-year competitive career. He's rolled 16 perfect 300 games. That's where all 10 pins are knocked down on the first roll of the ball. Now he heads the sport's governing body.

"I've watched more world championships competitions than anyone in the world," Dornberger said Wednesday. "And it has occurred to me that the people who say we are boring have a point."

Dornberger says he has a solution. He wants to change the sport's scoring system. He'd like it to be more like the soccer World Cup. Scoring, possibly only in the finals, could be simplified. The player winning each frame would get one point. Any player getting to six points would win the game.

Another suggestion is to make every strike count for 30 points. Spares, where all pins are knocked down in two rolls, would count for 20. That would make the math a lot easier. It also would keep 300 as the perfect score for a game. It's a tradition many bowlers would be very unhappy to see go away.

"I'm open to anything because I love our sport," Dornberger said. "I love tradition. But it's vital that we become an Olympic sport."

What's next for the sport of bowling? In December, a working group plans to make four or five proposals. So changes could come soon, if they are approved.

• ClaudiaA-Wal
    10/01/2014 - 09:03 p.m.

i cant believe that there will be changes to bowling but if its almost the sane as before ill probably still bowl with my family

• Nailan-Sal
    10/06/2014 - 09:19 a.m.

I wood not go cus if they change the rules because,it
    Won't be fun anymore and what if tere dum rules, people mite get hurt

• cobrasnakepit123
    10/06/2014 - 12:04 p.m.

The question would you go bowling if they changed the rules is a very good question to ask. Heres my opinion, I would go bowling even if they changed the rules. I think it would still be fun. Bowling is a very fun sport.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/10/2014 - 09:31 p.m.

If you change the rules for bowling without permission would get you to trouble. I think if would be a I bad idea to change the rules o bowling because the government won't like it. I don't agree that it is doing to be fun to be doing bowling by changing the rules because it would be cheating. I learned that two men wanted to change the rules of bowling. I am amazed because two men will be changing he rules of bowling.

• samanthasST
    10/13/2014 - 09:33 a.m.

I don't think bowling is boring, I just think if you play it for to long it can get a little boring. Making the score bourd change it would be fun, because it can make a noise if you get a strike or a spare! If you you would change the score bourd what would you change, the color, shape ,or the look, and why? I would change all of those, because I think it is boring! I really did love this article!

• adariusmcg-Mag
    4/06/2015 - 11:18 a.m.

Personally, I like how they were very creative about how the score works. But I still highly suggest that they simplify the way the score goes. Also I still wonder how long it will take to become an Olympic sport.
    Meaning it would have to be an around the world sport. It sounds very exciting!