Why do songs get stuck in our heads? (- Ask Smithsonian / Smithsonian.com)
Why do songs get stuck in our heads?

Do you sometimes hear the same song, over and over. Polls show that most of us have experienced these hearing ear worms. Nine out of 10 report having them at least weekly.

Who remembers these classic offenders? "Who Let the Dogs Out?" or "The Macarena." And my personal favorite, "Call Me Maybe." So what does science tell us about this musical torture? Not a whole lot yet. But we're working on it.

Some say ear worms keep our brains occupied when they have nothing better to do. Others believe that they cause a part of our brain called the auditory cortex to itch. Which means we have to scratch it.

There are some oh, so helpful cures. They include singing the whole song to its end. Or occupying your poor brain some other way. Like solving puzzles.

• cm2001KING
    9/18/2014 - 08:37 a.m.

This is a cool article I saw on gma that songs get stuck because of your brains memory is that good

• jordanvST
    9/19/2014 - 09:31 a.m.

Is there a other way to change my favorite music to an other. What happens if I turn the music up louder? How did this make up to you posting this video? What is your favorite music?

• ashtongST
    9/19/2014 - 09:36 a.m.

I get songs in my head all the time it gets VERY annoying And the only way to get ride of a song is to get another song in your head And i never heard of ear worms ever.

• chloewST
    9/19/2014 - 09:40 a.m.

When I have headphones in i think the louder it is the more you remember. Also the louder it is maybe when you get older you may become deaf so i keep my volume on a low volume.That is why I think music gets stuck in your head.

• prescillawST
    9/19/2014 - 09:46 a.m.

This topic was a good choice. I would like to know more about ear worms! Is there anything you did not tell us that would still be interesting? Why did you chose this topic?

• DwayneW-Wal
    9/22/2014 - 02:14 p.m.

I really have to start listening to my favorite songs over and over and over and over untill I sing it untill the end.

• jaydenaST
    9/23/2014 - 09:47 a.m.

do ear worms look like worms or do they look different than a regular worm explain what an ear worm looks like don,t answer yes or no .

• kaydeniST
    9/24/2014 - 09:36 a.m.

I think that ear worms keep our brain occupied when there is nothing better to do. What technology do they use to figure out the answer?

• jillianpST
    9/25/2014 - 09:31 a.m.

That's really cool! I always have a song stuck in my head! Like that new song "Trumpets" by Jason Derulo.I'm actually singing about it right now! Why do you have to sing to the end, that's really odd?

• ClaudiaA-Wal
    9/26/2014 - 11:30 a.m.

WOW!I never thought that thats how songs get in our heads!Thats pretty cool if u ask me.I just cant belive thats how songs get in our heads!