Why do bugs die on their backs? (Smithsonian.com / ThinkStock)
Why do bugs die on their backs?

Well, they don't all end their lives that way. But when a bug gets top heavy, it's in big trouble. That's because the bug usually falls over onto its back.

Of course, a stiff breeze or a curious pet can push it over, too. And once it finds itself belly up, it can be pretty tough for an insect to get back on its feet.

Bugs sometimes ock themselves upright. But if it's injured or it's weak or it's sick, it can have a really hard time. And even more so if a pesticide, or bug spray, is hurting its nervous system. That will cause a total system shutdown.

• pennyw-Bla
    9/18/2014 - 05:28 p.m.

The video makes me want to get a fat dummy robot and test it with that. Now to the summary.
    Not all bugs end on their backs, the ones that do are top heavy or get knocked over. If they get sick or weak they will die on their backs.

• lukecST
      9/23/2014 - 09:42 a.m.

Why did you want to make this article and where did you learn this from? Also do know of any bugs that could get back on their feet by themselves or does the wind half to or a curious animal? Overall very good article with a lot of info.

• Nailan-Sal
    9/22/2014 - 10:05 a.m.

Wow my dog ate one of those bugs it was terrible and gross but ,I Oslo kill them but with the bug spray those bugs our really a pain they eat everything like food,marshmallows,and candy

• cadendST
    9/25/2014 - 09:37 a.m.

I like it becuase i like bugs! How can bug die on there back? oh they can die becuase the bug spray and the illnis. write?
    i like pie

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/16/2014 - 10:09 p.m.

It is weird to have a bug die on it's back because most bugs really don't die on their backs. I think it is very disgusting to have a bug die because bugs have a lot of germs and I don't like to catch a bug that has so many germs. I agree that bugs die on their backs because some bugs don't lay on their backs and die, but some bugs like bees die on their backs. I learned that some bugs die on their backs. I am amazed that I learned that bugs die on their back because I never saw a bug on on it's own back. If I study about bugs when I grow up, I will see the evidence why bugs die on their backs. I believe this article a little bit because some bugs die on their backs like, honey bees.

• TomI-Saw
    11/05/2014 - 12:49 p.m.

That is both interesting and gross in the same time.

• annabel1226-yyca
    6/18/2015 - 08:37 p.m.

Now I get why bugs die on their backs. It is really weird to die on their back. If I was a bug I will not try to die on my back. I will try to learn more about why bugs die n their backs. I hope I know more about it..

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    7/14/2015 - 01:14 p.m.

REBUTTAL: Brandon to Annabel
    You are very stupid to say something like that. You need to explain why you understand why the bugs die on their backs. You need to explain why its weird that the bug dies on its back. If you are a bug, you are most likely to die on your back because when you spray the big spray, then you move around like you are being shocked until you die. So, Annabel I think that you need to write 10 more sentence and I think that you need to learn how to write more and better than 3 sentences.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    7/30/2015 - 12:28 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
    Annabel, bugs die on their backs because they get top heavy. Bugs normally die on their backs so it is not weird. If you were a bug, the only way you cannot die on your back is if you get eaten, or get stepped on by something.

• ap-bla
    10/02/2015 - 10:33 a.m.

I'm going to try it.it was so
    fasinating!