Which animal lives longest? Giant tortoises often live more than 100 years, but they aren't the longest-living animal its the sponge, below left (Smithsonian.com)
Which animal lives longest?

Sticking with recorded history, the answer might surprise you. Its not elephants, which live for about 30 or 40 years. Its not giant tortoises either, even though they often ripen to be well over 100 years old. Its not even that record-breaking, 507-year-old Arctic clam named Ming.

Nope, the longest-living animal in the world is a sponge. Sponges are among the simplest animals on the planet headless, armless and completely void of internal organs. But theyre still technically animals. And the glass sponge can live for 15,000 years.

The only other animal that might give it a run for its money is the immortal jellyfish. Under normal circumstances it lives and dies just like any other jellyfish. But put it under extreme stress and guess what? It ages backwards!

It transforms all of its adult cells into a younger state. And it can do this de-aging thing over and over again. Kind of makes the oldest human a 122-year-old French woman who was named Jeanne seem downright young, doesnt it?

• John0724-YYCA
    5/15/2014 - 07:41 p.m.

I can not believe that a jellyfish cells goes backward. A adult cells and it goes to the younger cells. And I never knew a sponge can live to fifteen thousand years! that is a lot of yeas a sponge could live. And a grand ma that is 122 years old!

• alex0509-yyca
      7/16/2015 - 03:53 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
      John I can believe that jelly fishes cells go backwards because its their life stile . And i believe that a sponge could live more than fifteen thousand years . I think that grandma could live more older than 122 years old if she would be careful.

• alex0509-yyca
      7/16/2015 - 03:54 p.m.

REBUTTAL:

• mc30police
    5/16/2014 - 12:57 p.m.

I wish that humas could live over 100 years old because then we could spend more time and know when we will die.

• lfsadam
    5/19/2014 - 01:44 p.m.

That animal has been through the changes of the world. It must be happy.

• lfsmadison-Cla
    5/19/2014 - 01:55 p.m.

I think that it is crazy that it is a glass sponge!I always thought it was a tourtoise.

• lfserin-Cla
      5/19/2014 - 09:50 p.m.

Yeah I was socked too! Crazy right. I can't believe it.

• lfserin-Cla
    5/19/2014 - 05:44 p.m.

The immortal jelly fish is like Benjamin Botton. He was a man who was born old and crumbly and he kept getting younger and younger.

• bis7
    5/21/2014 - 11:42 a.m.

This is just amazing and just the most incredible thing I've ever seen. I really thought it was the elephant .The turtle is so cute

• TylerG1-Gar