What turned a lobster blue? A blue lobster caught by Jay LaPlante off Pine Point in Scarborough, Maine (- AP photo)
What turned a lobster blue?

A Maine lobsterman says he and his 14-year-old daughter caught a very rare blue lobster.

WCSH-TV reports Jay LaPlante of the Miss Meghan Lobster Catch company caught the creature in Scarborough. LaPlante and daughter Meghan were hauling traps when she discovered the bright blue critter.

The story has a happy ending for the lobster. Meghan says she is naming the lobster Skyler. She will donate it to the Maine State Aquarium. The aquarium says it has three other blue lobsters. It has an orange one. too.

Typical lobsters are often a brown or greenish color. Others can be bright red (uncooked), calico, multi-colored or orange. Albino is likely the rarest of all lobster shades. Albino means no color, or white.

"They're rare, but we still see them every summer," University of Maine Lobster Institute Executive Director Robert C. Bayer told Michael Kuhne of AccuWeather.com. "We see around three to four a year."

Bayer said much is unknown about the number of lobsters. But according to some estimates, only one out of two million is blue.

• mooseloose50
    9/05/2014 - 12:25 p.m.

That is really amazing for someone at that age to catch a blue lobster! Megan is a real nice person to donate that blue lobster to the Maine State Aquarium. When I get home I am going to ask my Mom if she can buy me one of those awesome blue lobsters from Petco. It is amazing that one out of two million lobsters is blue, and that meghan caught a blue lobster. I think that Meghan is inspireing to kids, and cangratulations to her.

• sweetcupcake2
    9/05/2014 - 12:27 p.m.

Wow that is some great information, I can't wait to share the information I never knew there were that many colors of lobsters! You find 3 or 4 per year that sounds amazing,but I want to know where you find those lobsters? You must go fishing all the time to find them,I also have another question to ask Meghan,why did you name the blue lobster Skyler did you name her after someone or maybe a special name that you always wanted! I also have 1 more question,have you ever found other colored lobsters! Your family members are probably pros at fishing! Thank you!

• CassieS-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 02:07 p.m.

I think it is very awsome that the lobster is blue I would want to see a blue lobster some day.

• ArelyO-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 02:19 p.m.

aaahhh i never saw a blue crab like that befor in my life i think that wont tass good if you eat it<3

• Gicooljon
    9/05/2014 - 02:43 p.m.

i cant blieve that a lopster is blue. I have never seen one bfore

• Carlr4-Sch
    9/10/2014 - 11:45 a.m.

I what to learn about blue lobsters because it is interesting . Because I have never saw a blue lobster and I what to learn about a blue lobsters

• sophiahST
    9/19/2014 - 09:31 a.m.

I never knew that the U.S was giving away lighthouses for people to buy.If I has a lighthouse to buy I would use it to watch the ocean at nite time,go up to the top to watch the sunsets,and to watch fireworks.That is what I would use a light house for if I would buy one.

• Alexh4-Sch
    9/19/2014 - 02:35 p.m.

Very cool hope i catch one doubt . I really like the messes. And i never know thet there are only two million biue lobesters

• mackenzielST
    9/22/2014 - 09:42 a.m.

I find it so interesting to be able to find a blue lobster.I never thought there were different colors.How do the lobsters turn different colors?And are the colors bright?

• Nailan-Sal
    9/22/2014 - 10:12 a.m.

Wow so cool I did NOT now lobsters could turn blue sooooo cool I wish I could if been there to see the
    Lobster, turn BLUE but it's still weird