Were monster trucking the world Chad Fortune flies his truck Superman at Monster Jam, a monster truck competition in San Jose, Costa Rica (Reuters / AP photo)
Were monster trucking the world

American entertainment has been rolling all over the world for decades. Now, another American phenomenon is rumbling and its popularity has crossed into other countries. It's monster trucks.

"We're monster-trucking the world," said Kenneth Feld. He is in charge of Feld Entertainment. It's the company that owns the giant vehicles and the trademark Monster Jam events. "We're building the business globally. It's got a lot of traction."

Monster Jam shows feature ginormous trucks. They race and are really loud. They crush old cars and leap into the air.

The trucks have different themes. The black-and-neon green "Grave Digger" is probably the most popular. The "Zombie" is frightening. And the "Monster Mutt Rottweiler," a dog-themed truck, is actually kind of cute.

The tires are often 66 inches tall and the trucks stand about 12 feet high. That's about the size of two grown men.

Monster Jam had its first international show in 2004. By 2012, it was featured in one large, international tour. In 2013, the company offered two international tours. In 2014, there were three.

About 55,000 people packed one stadium in Sydney, Australia, in October. The trucks have visited in places around the world.

Florida-based Feld Entertainment also owns the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. It bought the Monster Jam brand in 2008. In 2015, the company will embark on a 10-city Monster Jam tour in Brazil. It will have a three-city tour in Spain. There are plans for Asia and South America.

The U.S. is where the sport started and where it's still very popular.

In the spring of 2014, Monster Mania was held in Moscow. More than 15,000 fans flocked to the show.

"Absolutely everybody gets monster trucks. It is just big, loud and abusive." So says Tony Dixon, who drives a truck called "Swamp Thing."

Critical thinking challenge: What does the Monster Truck brand have in common with other businesses owned by Feld Entertainment?

• SAlexander-Sti
    12/22/2014 - 09:29 a.m.

M - Monster trucks are becoming a big hit
    E - People think that the big trucks crushing cars are interesting
    A - Even though monster truck are becoming the new thing I still don't like them.
    L - Monster trucks are becoming popular many people are talking about what they do and why they are so cool even though they are becoming so cool i still don't like them myself.

• margareth-Hyl
    12/22/2014 - 11:55 a.m.

I have never seen a monster truck show but, I really want to. My friend Emmy has and she said it was really cool. I think that if monster trucks became even bigger the car industry will start selling monster trucks. I would want that to happen.

• aliciac-Hyl
    12/22/2014 - 11:59 a.m.

I want to see monster mutt rottweiler in live action, and that's not normal for me because I don't like monster truck shows. I mean trying to do some crazy stunts like jumping over cars in a 12 foot high truck, and I am afraid of height's so I would never do anything like that.

• robertd-Hyl
    12/22/2014 - 11:59 a.m.

I knew won thing about monster trucks it was about grave digger but I had no idea about "Zombie.'' Also the picture is a SUPERMAN monster truck it is awesome.

• ColeF-5
    12/26/2014 - 06:14 p.m.

• JackS-4
    12/26/2014 - 07:54 p.m.

American entertainer has been sweeping the globe for generations, and the newest iteration is Monster Trucking. Monster Trucking is a "sport" where people drove large, loud trucks over jumps and crush old cars. The tournament "Monster Jam", started in 2004, has spread to different countries around the world. Monster Jam in Moscow attracted over 15,000 people, and monster jam is planning to go to Asia and South America.

I have known "Monster Trucking" since I was little, but I never really thought it would catch on as much as it is. I really don't see the attraction of a bunch of oversized trucks smashing things under their tires.

• ashleighb-Hyl
    1/05/2015 - 11:58 a.m.

This article is very interesting. It was very interesting to learn that the monster truck rallies are owned by Feld Entertainment. I give this article a thumbs up!! :)

• nolanb-Hyl
    1/05/2015 - 12:04 p.m.

This article was awesome because it has some really cool facts. And that there is a picture of a SUPERMAN monster truck. Also I never new that there were 1500 people at a monster truck rally. So this is why I like this article.

• peytoni-Hyl
    1/05/2015 - 12:16 p.m.

I thought the atricl was really amazing. I never knew that the '' Zombie'' was really frighting. I also learned that Kenneth Fled was in charge of Fled Entertainment. I also can not belive that in spring 2014 that 15,000 fans flocked to the show in Moscow. Also I can not belive that the sport started and it is still very popular. Also, about 55,000 people packed one stadium in Sydney, Australia, in October.

• brandond-Hyl
    1/05/2015 - 12:17 p.m.

This story is one to remember for me. The things I like is everything! the concept is amazing,the main idea of a company of monster truckers is some thing to remember, and the thought of every thing about this story. The the thought of 15,000 fans is amazing and detailed. But these monster trucks are going to cause pollution, and that is the only down side to this story.