Want a job with no pay, lousy hours and stinky? Jourdan Giron, 21, of Lawndale, Calif., is a shelter volunteer at the Los Angeles SPCA. "I'm just happy being here and I don't want to leave," Giron said (AP photos)
Want a job with no pay, lousy hours and stinky?

There is no pay. The hours can be lousy. Sometimes it stinks. Would you want to help animals?

That's the plea from animal shelters and rescues across the country. It doesn't sound very appealing. But thousands of volunteers help every day.

"I don't know how we could function without volunteers," said Robin Starr. She is in charge of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Richmond, Virginia.

Jobs include that often smelly cleanup chore. But every facility also needs people to work with the animals. The volunteers feed the animals and walk them. They groom them. They train and play with them. Shelters also need help in the office.

Karen Gammon, 58, donates her art at Starr's shelter. That's made a lot of money.

"One year, the bidding got to $11,000," Starr said. "So she agreed to do two drawings at that price, making $22,000 for the shelter."

At Florida's Humane Society of Vero Beach and Indian River County, Cornelia Perez, 72, started volunteering 60 years ago. She rode her bike to a shack by the railroad tracks. At that shelter, they let her walk the dogs.

She was away for a while and returned in 1984. She put pails in supermarkets for food donations. She worked to get money to build a new shelter. Now she volunteers there.

Jourdan Giron turns 21 this month. She signed up in February for eight hours a month at the SPCA in Los Angeles. She already has put in over 325 volunteer hours. That's well over the 64 promised.

"I'm just happy being here and I don't want to leave," she said.

• Nailan-Sal
    10/01/2014 - 09:44 a.m.

that is sad wen pepole lose teir pets my dog ran away and he is so little
    my dad said that somewon tuck himso i dont have him he was brown with wite spots his
    legs were withe with little brown dots

• tallenl
    10/01/2014 - 10:36 a.m.

Animal shelters have volunteers all over the nation and the hours can be bad and it stinks and you have no pay. the volunteers take care of the animals like feed and walk them.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/03/2014 - 08:57 p.m.

I think the people who volunteered was very tired after they were done with the volunteering because taking care of animals is very hard, frustrating, and stressed. I agree that this is a stinky job because you have to clean animal poop and cleanup other messes that they made. I can't believe that some people had volunteered to take care of the animals at the animal shelter. I learned that taking care of pets are a big responsibility because you have to take if for a walk, clean its poop, give it food, and give it a bath. I am amazed that some people really volunteered to help the animal shelter. Once again the people might be frustrated because taking care of pets are a big responsibility.

• haileybr-Bla
    10/09/2014 - 06:43 p.m.

This article is about shelters needing more volunteers to take care of these animals. It is also about people doing what they are good at to help these shelters make more money.

• lacyn-Bla
    10/19/2014 - 12:23 p.m.

This article is about a animal shelter that is trying to earn money for the animals.About a thoused people volunteered each day.They earned about 22,000 dollars for the store.

• VDakota-Sti
    11/04/2014 - 04:10 p.m.

Nope. I would not volunteer at this place because for one i wouldn't be getting paid and two my field of knowledge wouldn't be all about pets and i wouldn't volunteer here because its too far away from home.

• JanaN-Saw
    11/13/2014 - 12:54 p.m.

I would volunteer .I don't care if i get paid or not i will.

• annabel1226-yyca
    5/19/2015 - 07:16 p.m.

If I was in that place I would defiantly help. Especially dogs. Who want to get pay when there is a lot of homeless animals waiting for you? You should just work free. Right now that place earned a lot of money because thousands of people are volunteering for helping animals. Isn't that great?

• trent3-Bla
    6/05/2015 - 10:54 a.m.

I would volunteer because i like animals a lot i have always wanted a pet also.