Want to have a robot to take home? A Finch Robot (Wikimedia Commons/finchrobot.com)
Want to have a robot to take home?

Instead of borrowing a book, in one city it's possible to check out a robot.

The Chicago Public Library has a fleet of 500 robots. The gadgets are known as Finch Robots. The library is the first in the nation to allow people to borrow robots.

The robots can be coded to move. They can make noises, light up and even draw. Children as young as 8 years old can program the robots.

"We hope to inspire the next generation of technologists and computer scientists," said Jim Lecinski. He is the head of the Googles Chicago office. Google donated the robots.

The partnership with Google will support the city's push to give its people more chances to learn.

The robots were invented by a lab at Carnegie Mellon University. You can connect the robots to a home computer or laptop. You can download instructions from the company's website.

"Getting students excited about computer science at the primary and secondary school level is critical," Lecinski said.

PREVIOUS STORY
NEXT STORY

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    5/13/2014 - 06:52 p.m.

I think that this robot thing is cool but, won't it affect kids and their learning? I think that this can make kids be stupider and crazier because, they are make things that make to involve kids and robots. I think that this fact can be bad because, it might make kids die younger and they won't be able y=to live as long as other people do. I also think that is can be cool but, it is very bad for our world. Our world is becoming like the movie Lorax. Everything is plastic and the people like it. I also think that people might be able to become more fatter when they grow older.

• John0724-YYCA
    5/13/2014 - 07:23 p.m.

That is a cool robot that they made. A robot that could make noises, light up, and draw stuff. But a library that let you borrow robots! That is unfamiliar to hear. It also has a weird name! I wish more cool stuff comes out.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
      8/05/2014 - 02:08 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
      I know it is a cool robot. But, you can only BORROW the robot because it is the library's property so you have to return it before the due date. Also, more cool stuff WILL come out like hover boards, portable supercomputers, flying cars, etc.

• AlexL1-Gar
    5/16/2014 - 01:12 p.m.

I never knew that Chicago 's library had robots that's great.

• geobanip-rob
      4/06/2016 - 02:19 p.m.

*never* i never knew that you can get a robot at the library for free!!!! but these robots can be so cool.

• lfsnoahm-Cla
    5/19/2014 - 01:47 p.m.

I think its cool that you can check out a ROBOT from a library. I might go to Chicago and check one out myself to try it out!

• bis18
    5/21/2014 - 12:24 p.m.

this article is so cool ! i had no clue they made robots. but its a library. they are called finch robots that's a weird name

• bis4
    5/22/2014 - 11:34 a.m.

It is a cool robot! A pet robot! I want it so bad. It's awesome! So white it is cool! I wish I could have it!

• mattsimonsen-bak
      9/23/2015 - 04:09 p.m.

Me to!

• Raulr-Gra
    5/27/2014 - 12:00 p.m.

This is a awesome robot I want a robot home.