Un-bee-lievable! 50,000 bees invade apartment (- Thinkstock / Reuters)
Un-bee-lievable! 50,000 bees invade apartment

A New York City woman had some unexpected roommates living in her apartment: 50,000 bees.

WABC-TV reports beekeepers removed the swarm from Frieda Turkmenilli's ceiling. Her neighbors had alerted the building manager, Mike Candan.

Turkmenilli says she saw only a few bees buzzing around. She never realized how many had taken up residence right above her head.

"It's pretty amazing to think they found this one little hole, and they went in and set up shop, and started making honey," Candan told WABC of the insects.

Reporter Josh Einiger said that Candan brought in Anthony Planakis and Larry Stone, two professional beekeepers. They have been handling jobs like these for longer than they'd like to admit. "It's quite painful!" Stone said. "You never get used it." That's because sometimes they get stung.

The beekeepers use special equipment to find out where the bees might be hiding.

The experts were surprised at what they found. Thousands of bees had settled in. The bees were removed along with more than a dozen honeycombs. They will be relocated to a farm upstate.

Turkmenilli says she misses them and wishes they had left behind some honey.

• tybreland
    9/03/2014 - 07:26 p.m.

Ewww,That's scary to have over 50,000 bees living on top of you. If you love the bees well this is for you to like this.This also can be dangerous to have that in your apartment.Could bite you in your sleep or something.Yet i still wish the kept the honey that would be sweet!

• shocker97
    9/05/2014 - 12:32 p.m.

I'm so glad I don't live in that apartment. I have never been stung by a bee, and i don't want to be be. Especially if there are 50,00 of them. I'm just so surprised how all of them gathered up in one room, and that the person living there didn't get stung once. This is why I don't live in an apartment. I get a little shock when I see 1 bee. A little frustrated when I see 2. Sort of frightened when I see 3. Creeped out when I see 4, and don't even get me me started if I see 5. If I saw 50,000, I'd probally faint. But I know that bees are helpful to our environment, and they help trees which help us breath. When I see bees, I just stand still because I know they only sting you when they feel attacked, since they die if they sting. If there were 50,000 bees in my house, I would probally be to frightened to call beekeepers to take care of the bees, even if it would be the best thing to do if that had happened.Instead I'd probally freak out and run for my life. Yeah, I would be that scared. Like I said, 5 bees give me a chill. I just don't know why they would sting you, even if they know that they would die at the same time. I guess what they think is that if they die, at least they die with the victim hurt. So I'm not a huge fan of bees, but I know that they are important.

• VTI2005
    9/05/2014 - 12:50 p.m.

When I was really little, I was on my friends play set. Bees had apparently made a hive in there because, when I went to slide, they started to sting me. there were fifty bees and they all sung me once! I was lucky though. When my mom finally got me down from there, we discovered I only had 3 or 4 stingers in me. That was a relief but, then my mom got out her credit card and took it to the stings that had stingers in it. It hurt but, my mom said it would take the stingers out. I was so glad when that process was over!
    Another time when I was really little, I stepped on an underground beehive. It felt like crickets crawling up my legs. I started screaming when they stung me. My mom told me to slowly sit down. After all the bees were gone, she started checking me for stings. I didn't have any. I'm so glad I'm not allergic to bee stings!

• TomI-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 02:11 p.m.

bees bees flying around touching the sky and crawling below

• gestavonate
    9/05/2014 - 02:28 p.m.

I WOULD NOT LIKE TO SEE THAT I JUST LOOK LIKE IT WILL MAKE ME THO UP SO I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT THAT IS SO SCARY THAT I WANT TO ERASE IT AND THANK YOU BUT I WANT ERASE IT BECAUSE I NO SOME BODY ELSE MIGHT WANT TO SEE IT.

• gestavonate
    9/05/2014 - 02:28 p.m.

• Amy2005
    9/12/2014 - 11:45 a.m.

Oh my gosh!!!! I freak out about one bee. If I had two bees I would freak even more. Three bees don't get me started. Four bees I'm going to faint. I am totally afraid of bees especially wasps and bumble bees I got stuck twice in a row by the same bee. If I had 50,000 bees I think if would freak out and run for my life!!!!!!!!

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/16/2014 - 09:04 p.m.

Wow, that is a lot of bees in someone's apartment. I would not like to spend time in a place with 50,000 bees while having a play date with the woman. I think the article is very surprising because there was no place with no place with that many bees inside it, I wouldn't get stung either. I would not want to live in a house with a lot of bees inside. I disagree because no house can have over 10,000 bees as their roommates. I am very surprised because this article talked about a lot of bees at a house.

• morgan-lah
    11/09/2015 - 01:36 p.m.

The experts were surprised by what they found in the apartment. In the story it says there was 50,000 bees in her apartment. In my opinion I think that it would be very harmful to get stung be almost 50,000 bees. Also I think that I would get a lot of honey to eat. So then I don't have to go to the store to buy new honey. That is why the experts were surprised by what they found in the apartment.

• ryder-lah
    11/09/2015 - 01:37 p.m.

The experts were surprised to see that their was 50,000 bees.The experts were not expected to see so many bees. I think that the experts did good at dealing with the 50,000 bees.I would not like to have 50,000 bees in my house.