Two words: Baby hippo A mother hippo, named Mara, and her new-born calf at the Los Angeles Zoo (AP Photos /Los Angeles Zoo)
Two words: Baby hippo

The Los Angeles Zoo has received a real treat for Halloween. Their first baby hippopotamus in 26 years was born.

The zoo says the baby was born Friday, Oct. 31. It was somewhat of a surprise. Staffers had noticed the mother hippo gaining weight. That made them suspect she was pregnant.

Vets haven't determined the sex of the new hippo. They say the baby appears to be doing well. It is bonding with mom.

The mother, 10-year-old Mara, came to the zoo in December from Topeka, Kansas. The father is 3-year-old named Adhama. He arrived from the San Diego Zoo last year.

• AdamYY-5
    11/20/2014 - 09:23 p.m.

The Los Angeles Zoo got a new baby hippo. It is bonding with it's parents well and it is doing fine. This is nice for the LA Zoo to get a new hippo. Thankfully it is doing well and I hope that it continues this way.

• Jacobsawc
    12/01/2014 - 08:47 a.m.

i think it is a treat his mother because hippos are not going to be eval to go trick or treating so muse wile have a baby it was a good thing tho that she had a baby after 26-27 years.

• JulianS-Saw
    12/03/2014 - 01:57 p.m.

some animal are sometimes born weird like with hands no legs

• JulianS-Saw
    12/03/2014 - 02:00 p.m.

they are so cool hippos they look like there Young when they open there mouth

• katier-Orv
    12/18/2014 - 01:05 p.m.

that is so nice to have a hippo be born on holloween i would be so happy for that mother and the owner of that zoo that is so sweet congrats guys.

• TBryan-Sti
    12/22/2014 - 09:33 a.m.

Congrats for a new born hippopotamus! I just have one question will the new born stay with it's mother? I hope that the San Diego Zoo will take good care of him or her.

• joshual-Sma
    1/07/2015 - 01:53 p.m.

Wow so cute, I hope San Diego Zoo can take care of the baby hippopotamus. How old is the baby hippopotamus,what is the baby's name?

• kristenk-Sma
    1/14/2015 - 06:32 p.m.

I love hippopotamuses and I love baby hippopotamuses even more they are so adorable and I wish I could have a baby hippopotamus in my back yard in a pool they are so cute as baby's I love them so much.

• owenb-Sma
    1/15/2015 - 12:23 p.m.

This is a good story, now i want to see how the baby hippo turns out.

• sumaram-Sma
    1/15/2015 - 01:53 p.m.

wow the mom is named after my nickname Mara this story is so cute i enjoyed it i would think that hippos would have more babies i liked this story i would like to read it again sometime.