Tour a big city one pizza at a time! Chicago deep-dish style pizza (AP photo / Thinkstock)
Tour a big city one pizza at a time!

Chicago is famous for its deep-dish pizza. But tourists are unlikely to know that the folks who live there more often like a thinner crust. And that they enjoy it topped with homemade Italian sausage. And cut into squares, not slices.

Taking a pizza tour would be the way to learn.

Chicago is one of a few of cities with companies that offer the tours. Boston, Milwaukee and New York offer tours, too. Chicago Pizza Tours owner Jonathan Porter takes his customers on a bus ride. It includes four stops.

"It's just a different way to see the city," Porter said. "Eat your way through the city."

Bonnie Burchett, 64, of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, was on a recent visit with her husband. So they took the tour.

"I like that sausage," she said after taking a bite at Pizano's. It was the first stop on the tour.

Elizabeth Goodwin, 33, of Columbus, Ohio, was with her husband, too. They went to five pizzerias on the tour.

"I've always wanted to try Chicago deep-dish pizza. It's famous," Goodwin said.

The bus tour guide offers fun bits of information. There are 2,200 pizza restaurants in Chicago. And thin crust outsells deep-dish. That might be a little surprising. After all, deep-dish pizza was invented in Chicago in the 1940s.

• nicholasdST
    9/19/2014 - 09:42 a.m.

I think that is really cool that Chicago has created the deep dish pizza and has brought it to so many other states.what I also think it is very neat that Jonathan Porter takes people on a bus tor around Chicago to sell more pizzas,and get more money.

• sweetcupcake2
    9/19/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

Wow amazing facts I had no idea pizza was made in Chicago of the 1940s! The best place I love going to get deep dish pizza is Lou's! But I also like Uno's pizza and their deserts are to die for, I had a giant chocolate cookie in a dish in milk it was delish! One of my family members got apple pie with vannila ice cream but I liked my giant cookie better! I also like the peppeponi and giro pizza from this place called Italian Express! I can't believe there are 2,200 pizza restaurants in Chicago! I LOVE PIZZA!

• VTI2005
    9/19/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

Of deep-dish and thin pizza, I like thin pizza best. My favorite way to eat cheese is plain. I also like to eat it with sausage but, I hate pepporoni. I only like one type of deep-dish pizza and my family hardly ever buys it. Alot of times we buy thin pizza so I don't have to worry about it that much, luckilly!

• charlesoST
    9/23/2014 - 09:48 a.m.

Chicago citizens must like pizza if it has 2,200 pizza restaurants and invented deep-dish pizza.I could think how many people would line up for the restaurants.

• masonja1-gag
    9/26/2014 - 11:01 a.m.

it LOOKS VARE GOOD FOOD I WOT 1 FOR 1$ ON NORTH COLDWATER RD I KANT WAT FOR IT I TAST NOML PIZZA PLES AND THAK YOU.

• markuzp502
    10/21/2014 - 02:27 p.m.

looks good. I want go there sometime and eat it. Is there anything but sauce

• John0724-YYCA
    4/23/2015 - 07:28 p.m.

That pizza looks like a pizza that has weird looking king of crust and tomato sauce all over it with no toppings which is kind of okay for me because when I usually eat pizza I king of don't like the pepperoni and accidentally took the whole skin off and there was only the tomato sauce left and it was still good. But the thing that I don't like about the pizza is that it is so small and I think I need to order two of those in order to be full. Also about the tomato sauce thing is actually Italian sausage but they seriously need to get a ne sausage with a different color because some people might think that that is tomato sauce and might leave the restaurant.