Teacup-sized penguin chicks going to fish school California Academy of Sciences veterinarians examine one of two African penguin chicks in San Francisco (AP photos)
Teacup-sized penguin chicks going to fish school

Two African penguin chicks have recently hatched at the California Academy of Sciences. The academy is located in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.

The gray, fluffy chicks hatched just days apart. One was born on November 1 and the other on November 4. They are nesting with their parents, a spokesperson for the academy said.

The chicks are each the size of a tea cup. They will go through "fish school" to become good swimmers. They need to get comfortable with eating hand-fed fish. Once they are ready, they will join the penguin colony on exhibit. That could happen in late January.

The academy's two chicks are the second and third to be hatched as part of its Species Survival Plan program. In January 2013, the academy hatched its first chick. This was when the academy moved into its new Golden Gate Park facility in 2008.

African penguins were classified as an endangered species in 2010. They are at high risk of extinction in the wild.

• sean11-Bla
    11/20/2014 - 01:41 p.m.

I didn't even know African penguins was a thing

• sarahr-Kin
    11/21/2014 - 10:48 a.m.

I just read tis article and it was so cute. Tthis is an awesome article to read.

• pennyw-Bla
    11/22/2014 - 12:14 p.m.

I early November, 2 African penguin chicks were born. They are an endangered species. They live in Golden Gate Park. They are learning to swim and eat handheld fish. They will join the colony in January.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    12/01/2014 - 09:45 p.m.

I think the two teacup-sized African penguin chicks must be in the Species Survival plan program so the African chicks will survive cause the African penguins are about to be extinct in the wild so it looks like the people in the species survival plan program will take good care of the African chicks until they grow as an adult so they will join the African penguin colony so the population will grow out from the small number of penguins will actually means that the penguins are about to be extincted, but I'm glad that the people moved the two African chicks to the species survival plan program so they will take good care of the chicks.

• justing88
    12/08/2014 - 01:12 p.m.

I think this passage was good i like how the academy helped the penguins live and teaches them to swim and eat. The penguins will be back in with there family in late January the academy is called the golden gate park facility.The penguins was born just days a part one on November 1 and November 4. There is a species survival plan program it helps animals like thees get homes.The penguins are classified as an endangered specie they are in high risk of extinction.

• TrinityO-Mau
    12/17/2014 - 11:38 a.m.

they're so cute and i can't believe they're going to swim school.

• CassieS-Saw
    2/04/2015 - 01:11 p.m.

I think the penguin is very cute and small. I think they will be great swimmers

• CassieS-Saw
    2/04/2015 - 01:11 p.m.

I think the penguin is very cute and small I think they will be great swimers

• CandaceC-Phe
    2/25/2015 - 10:52 a.m.

I thought that this was an intersting story! I never thought that penguins could be so small.

• AkashaR-Phe
    2/25/2015 - 11:35 a.m.

I think this penguin story is so fun. I love penguins they are so cute. I personally love there silly waddles. I also LOVE penguins so much I would keep one at my house. P.S hi Ms.Phelps :)