Taylor Swift wants you to read Taylor Swift talks with children about the power of reading and writing (Invision for Scholastic, Inc./AP Images)
Taylor Swift wants you to read

Who says kids don't read? Not Taylor Swift.

The superstar made a stop on her tour promoting her new album. She wanted to share her passion for reading and writing. She met with some New York City public school kids and 100 more on computer screens via Skype.

Swift, whose "1989" may debut at No. 1 this week, is a lifelong lover of books and writing. But she said after chatting with the tweens and teens at Scholastic that she isn't ruling out other writing projects.

She's already an unpublished novelist. At 13 or 14, she wrote a 400-page book. It was based on her life and friends. She had left them behind during a summer away with her family.

"But since then, I've discovered music and that's the form of writing that inspires me the most," Swift said.

Her meetup with the kids at the book publisher's headquarters was turned into a 30-minute video. It is available at Scholastic.com. In it, she urges more young people to "open a world of possible" through books.

The students on Skype were from Troy, Michigan, and Poway, California. They had made signs declaring the superstar awesome. The in-person New Yorkers offered Swift their book recommendations. Among them: "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls and "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper.

And Harry Potter.

The book ideas were timely for Swift. Making and promoting her fifth album has left her out of the loop on what to read, she said.

• Nailan-Sal
    11/05/2014 - 09:57 a.m.

yo pienso que leer es casi como coloriar pero no es asi pero me gusta leer un POQUO

• AliannaR-Saw
    11/05/2014 - 12:34 p.m.

My thought is that she is very kind and loves to read and write . I think that is so thought full of her to take her time to do that

• tayleighaus-Mag
      4/06/2015 - 11:20 a.m.

taylor is a good example I understand that she wants pepole to read the number of people who have been playing on there electronics sense 1980s people need to step away from there electronics some times

• JanaN-Saw
    11/05/2014 - 12:52 p.m.

i like reading and writing i agree with her she is kind

• meganw-Bla
    11/09/2014 - 05:06 p.m.

This is my summary on Taylor Swift wants you to read. Taylor Swift was going on tour because she wanted to share her passion of reading and writing.Taylor met with some New York City public school kids and 100 more kids on computer screens.Taylor Swift is already an unpublished novelist.When she was 13 or 14 she wrote a book with over 400 pages.Taylor's book was based on her life and her friends.The students on Skype were from Troy, Michigan and Poway, California.

• elia3-Bla
    12/08/2014 - 02:41 p.m.

I will read i love you so much Taylor Swift

• makenna-wat
    1/23/2015 - 09:14 a.m.

Tayler Swift is my number 1 singer! I can't beleive she made a 400 page book about her life and friends. I really want to meet her! She's so pretty. Tayler Swift is the BEST!!!

• makenna-wat
    1/23/2015 - 09:24 a.m.

Taylor Swift is my number 1 singer! I can't believe she made a 400 page book about her life and friends.She's so pretty! TALoR SWIFT IS THE BEST!!!

• bennies-war
    2/27/2015 - 01:47 p.m.

talor wsitf is a lady that wants kis to read about stuff cuz it makes them smarter than doing other things like playing video games and playing on their phones

• bis5
    5/20/2015 - 01:34 p.m.

Taylor swift is the best singer in all of pencalvanya