Students stand up, rally against cyberbullying (Thinkstock)
Students stand up, rally against cyberbullying

Students at a Vermont high school are winning praise. They are fighting back against online bullying. A counterattack was organized.

They asked the creators of the After School app to take their school's message board down. Then they launched a "Positive Post-it" campaign. Small notes offering praise and encouragement to fellow students were stuck to bulletin boards and windows around the school.

They also asked the tech giant Apple to remove After School from its App Store. An Apple spokesman said the company had agreed. The app was removed.

The app's intended use was to post anonymous messages about local goings-on. Instead, comments on Rutland High School's app were "negative, obscene," said Principal Bill Olsen.

Senior Eric Gokee was one of five students who spoke during morning announcements. He introduced himself by saying, "Some of you may know me as the biggest Jew at Rutland High School." He added in an interview a few days later he was voted as such in a survey on the app.

"I never downloaded the app. But I knew what was going on just from my friends. Everyone was talking about it," Gokee said.

Sophomore Molly Engels is president of a student group, Cyber You. It is devoted to responsible Internet use, "It was a big wakeup call to see so many people affected by it in a negative way," she said.

The Rutland students' anti-bullying efforts drew praise from Gov. Peter Shumlin.

John Halligan is an anti-bullying activist. He said he had spoken to Rutland students two years ago.

"I'm really proud of these kids," he said. He added that they had gotten the message to "stand up for one another and push back against the bullying behavior."

• CarterP-Bla
    12/16/2014 - 06:55 p.m.

1. I read the article "students stand up, rally against cyberbullying." 2. I tout it was grate that the students at that school, difference to stand up to cyberbyllying. It had to make a big difference in the community 3.I also thought it was wonderful that they asked Apple to remove After School from its App Store. Also that Apple said the company had agreed then the app was removed. 5.I loved this article for numerous reasons and how thoughtful of other people these students were.

• AV2000RED
    12/17/2014 - 08:48 a.m.

I Think It Was A Really Good Idea For The Students To Do that because Bullying Is Very Unacceptable And I Don't Like Bullying And A Lot Of People Act Like They Don't Like Bullying But They Go Back And Bully Someone And I Really Don't Like That Its Not Nice And Not Fare . People Kill Them Selves Because Of People Bullying Them And Some Little Kid Just Killed Herself Because Of Some Kids At School Bullying Her

• kaylal-Hyl
    12/17/2014 - 11:59 a.m.

I think that this article is awesome. I love this article because it says how they fixed the problem of cyber bullying. I love how it explained how someone got the idea of creating a club for safe internet uses. That is what i like about this article.

• samuelw-Hyl
    12/17/2014 - 12:02 p.m.

I liked this article because it is talking alot about people stoping cyberbullying. The reason that there stoping cyberbullying because its not right to treat others the way you don't want to be treated.So it is very important to treat others the way you want to be treated too.Its very important to stop cyberbullying.Stop cyberbullying.Its not right to cyberbully.Dont cyberbully ever.

• emilianar-Hyl
    12/17/2014 - 12:07 p.m.

I like how they stand together to stop bullying and cyber-bullying. They also think that it is wrong to bully peopl, beacouse it is! You should also try to be nice even if you don't like that person. If your thinking of saying something mean just don't.

• GMauricio-Sti
    12/18/2014 - 10:17 a.m.

That a rally good idea. creating a app for positive this about you so you dont feel down that a really good this to do to stop cycber bulling. That a really good thing so stay positive.

• katier-Orv
    12/18/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

yes i was once cyberbullied and i never told anyone about it because they probably wouldn't believe me. i think that is a excellent thing to do is to stand up for it and never let those things get in your everyday life and hold you back you need to stand up and tell someone about it if your getting cyeberbullied.

• SAlexander-Sti
    12/22/2014 - 09:40 a.m.

M - Vermont high school is fighting back to cyber bullying
    E - They are starting an app that help people fight back to bullying
    A - This is good because then more people can stand up for themselves
    L - A school is starting and app to hep stop cyber bullying, this was a good idea because it will help kids stand up for themselves.

• kristinaf-Kin
    1/13/2015 - 09:42 a.m.

I think it would be very bad if people do cyberbullying even on electronics! So I would try to stop it as soon as I can.

• gabbyw-boo
    2/10/2015 - 11:21 a.m.

Its nice to see the good in the world. In see that people are standing up in trying to prevent this bullying .